Severed fingers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe I am getting a bit more squemish in my old age. Back when I serviced cars for a living, I used to see several fingertips fubared in a single uh-oh! incident. I would patch them up and finish the job.
I don't do that so much anymore.
But yesterday, I cut off the tip off of my left pinky finger with a razor knife. It cut about 3/8" from the end, all but the nail and bone was cut off. It didn't hurt much, in fact, I hardly felt it at all. But my finger wasn't happy! It let me know by bleeding all over the place. It wasn't pretty!
I taped it back on and finished the job. But by today, it was not healing like they used to when this happened more often, and I was younger. In fact it hurt some. So I had to deal with it.:frown:
Tonight, I sat at the workbench with some glass and med tape. I sanitized the glass with ammonia and alcohol. I also gave myself a dose of alcohol. I set up a place where I could pay attention. I cut off all of the tape holding the end of my finger on. The finger fell off, and bled a lot. I swabbed and disinfected it. Then I put it back on, and held it tight. I taped it. Then I wiped off the blood. I taped it back in place.
I cut some med tape into 1/8" strips on the glass. I placed them over the cut like stitches, to hold it together. I used about 8 strips to hold the fingertip in place. Then I wrapped a strip of tape around the finger to hold it all in place. Not too tight, but just enough.
I rubbed some neosporin between the tapes into the wound to help it heal. Otherwise, I left it open so that it doesn't get too wet, and can heal naturally.
36 hours after injury, the severed finger is comfortable and doesn't even hurt at all. It just feels funny because of all of the tape on it. I will take the tape off in 2-3 days. Then it will be fine! I've done this before!
This is on the effort to be a first-aid lesson. Whenever a human body is damaged, do your level best to put it back together the way that it was as fast as possible. Even your most rudimentry efforts will be better than waiting hours for a doctor.
If the injury is mild, put it back together with whatever you have on hand. Even duct tape is better than stitches, if the doctor is hours away. The doc can always remove the tape later. With injury, speed is most important. Repair the wound before the shock sets in. That means within ten minutes in most cases of minor injury. It takes about ten minutes for the real pain to set in after a deep cut. The body gives you a grace period after injury. It is called shock. It lasts about 8-10 minutes. Use that time to evaluate and make the first set of repairs/first-aid. Do the best that you can in the time allowed. Then get your victim to a doctor, if needed.

Last edited:
of more value

I think it might be more valuable to start an informational thread on "How NOT to cut your fingers off".

ok fess up what where u cutting with the razor knife ????? using the right tool for the job?????:flipoff2:

Did you give yourself the dose of alcohol before or after the accident? :D

-Spike

couldnt you have made it to the hospital or urgent care faster than screwing around and getting all your "medical kit" together? Why not have a professional do it in a more sanitary environment to increase your chances of a better outcome? Thats what I would of done.

couldnt you have made it to the hospital or urgent care faster than screwing around and getting all your "medical kit" together? Why not have a professional do it in a more sanitary environment to increase your chances of a better outcome? Thats what I would of done.

They don't have hospitals in that little :hillbilly: town called Prescott. Only a big 's***ty' like Phoenix has these type of amenities.:rolleyes:

This thread is worthless without pics!!!!!

Last edited:
pics

here is an artists rendering.... :flipoff2: "Ow, I cut off all my fingers but I duct taped these back on!"

:lol::lol:

Ok, I can't believe the Foxworthy jokes haven't started..:hillbilly:

:lol::lol:

Ok, I can't believe the Foxworthy jokes haven't started..:hillbilly:

Ok:flipoff2::hillbilly:...If you ever cut off your finger and then duct tapped it back on after drinkin' a beer and thinking about it......:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:

So....still curious to find out what you were a-cuttin' on....:hmm: ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom