severe pulsing breaks - after tire/wheel change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did some searching and found posts on warped rotors, but want to ask about a bit of a unique situation here.

Ironman lift install completed last night, after bolting up a set of 33x12.5s on larger 15x8 steel wheels tonight I feel a distinct long travel pulse in the brake pedal. Checked, nothing is rubbing (that I can tell). Put the 31s on factory wheels back on and it nearly goes away, it's entirely possible that this has been here but it is so slight that I haven't noticed it.

Is the weight difference of the tires exaggerating a warped rotor? Shook the entire truck at a 45 MPH attempt to slow down with the 33s.

Anything else that might cause the pulsing?

EDIT: Again caught by the uncorrectable subject line... ...isn't that the brakes...

Last edited:
If your wheel berings are not adjusted properly you get the condition you described.

Follow the procedure in the FSM, I bet this will help.

Dynosoar

Thanks, just ordered new bearings, rotors and pads. Figured if I'm going to be in there might as well do all I can.

FSM says 101 ft lbs to torque the lug nuts, online resources suggested 85 ft. lb maximum. Tire store torqued them to 110 - 115.

Does anyone have experience with over torqued lug nuts to the point the rotors warped?

Just replaced rotors, pads, inner seals, repacked bearings(great shape, grease and bearings looked fresh so I think the P.O. had just had the bearings replaced - yet not adjusted correctly :mad:), and adjusted tension with my new 2 1/8" monster socket. Went step by step in the FSM and had all of the tools except the tester to check resistance before the hub will start to turn. (used suggestions from this forum for a "feel" test). Torqued lug nuts to 90 ft-lbs just to be safe and not chance warping these new rotors.

All in all a dirty, fun job.

Thanks and great suggestion on the bearings Dynosoar, they were indeed loose per the 12 and 6 wheel shake test. Also confirmed a warped rotor so it was a two fold problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom