Severe Drawer Envy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.realestatebook.com
Just made it back to the Keys from Cruise Moab on Monday afternoon with a bad case of Drawer Envy. Despite a hectic work week, I couldn't stop myself from sawing, gluing and nailing after hours.

I had a couple of home made drawers from my old kitchen, that I based everything on. They were made from 1/2 AC plywood. I also happened to have a few sheets of 3/4 CDX laying around, so I decided to use that for the rest.

A few cuts, some glue and nails and here is where we are so far. It is obviously time to go buy something. :rolleyes:

Props to Zane and his build for the inspiration and motivation.:beer: You're the man.:clap:
IMG_2662.jpg
IMG_2663.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg

Last edited:
The drawer system ended up a little high, but I think it will work out fine for sleeping with a mattress. Also the drawers are wider than most, so I had to clip the corners of the slide mount boxes, so it would sit on the floor.
IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg
IMG_2668.jpg

As you've probably noticed by now, I managed to sneak in a 21 gallon water tank just above the rear axle. I would prefer it to be half the size, but I already had that one in stock, so we are going to go with it for now.
IMG_2671.jpg
IMG_2672.jpg
IMG_2673.jpg

Some of the plywood laying around was quite warped, so I am using some weight to flatten it out in our lovely humid weather down here. Hopefully it will be flat in the morning so I can glue the second top on. I think I am just going to piano hinge the contoured sides for access and so the units can slide in and out easier. Anyone have any suggestions?
IMG_2675.jpg
IMG_2676.jpg

Looks good Travis! I know exactly how you feel when you get into the build mode.

One thing to worry about is your drawer slides. I don't think they are going to hold up to those heavy drawers and any stuff you put in them. Go get some heavy duty slides!

Looks good Travis! I know exactly how you feel when you get into the build mode.

One thing to worry about is your drawer slides. I don't think they are going to hold up to those heavy drawers and any stuff you put in them. Go get some heavy duty slides!

First off...Don't tell me what to do!:D

You are so right though...those were the ones I already had here in "Vertical Storage" so I used them. The hardware store is quite a few miles away. I even had to cut and form one to fit. Anyway, I put them at the bottom of the drawer for that reason...we'll see how they hold up and maybe I'll swap em out later. I still gotta make sure I have enough cargo space and payload for work with the drawers, or they may end up on MudBay.

What's up Travis! You were motivated. Nice job, they look good. Need to get started on mine. So many projects don't know where to start.

I know it is over simplistic, but I did not use drawer slides. It seemed easier to do what I did, which is use plastic slides on the bottom. I bought cutting boards from walmart and ripped them. I screwed them to the bottom and placed drawers on top of them. Picture is not the finished product, but I am very happy with' em. I got the idea from a post in the 80s forum.

Good luck, love your hundred.

photo-19.jpg
photo-19.jpg

Great job on the build. I too went without the sliders. I put together mine as a concept prototype back in '06. That is a far as I made it. The heavier drawer keeps them in place. I have a couple light scratches on the flip down plastic hinge cover and that is it.

Here's an idea. A fitment kit I put together to clean up the look. It ties in the sides and levels the back area and gives me space for recovery gear, etc. I also mounted and hid an inverter there. Here's a couple shots to help out. The vertical pieces are held in place with some small steel notched hardware I picked up at an Ace Hardware.

Cheers,
IMG_1629 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1636 (Medium).JPG

Travis, These are looking great! Now... I'm going to tell YOU what to do :) I think you would be happier if you added steel roller drawer slides in the long run. Not that not having them is a bad thing, but it sure makes opening and closing the drawers nice and easy. The good thing is that this is something that can be upgraded down the road if they are not available on your little island you live on. You will love having these things.. There I go again, telling you what to do.. ha..

Travis, These are looking great! Now... I'm going to tell YOU what to do :) I think you would be happier if you added steel roller drawer slides in the long run. Not that not having them is a bad thing, but it sure makes opening and closing the drawers nice and easy. The good thing is that this is something that can be upgraded down the road if they are not available on your little island you live on. You will love having these things.. There I go again, telling you what to do.. ha..

LOL! :flipoff2:

Progress Update

Thanks for the photos, laughs and advice fellas. Here is an update since I visited the hardware store.

Lefty is done...right one is still a little warped, so I busted out my :hillbilly: skills from the good ol' days back in WV. You can take the man out of West Virginia, but you can't take the WV out of the man. Should be ready for carpet in the morning...:rolleyes:
IMG_2678.jpg
IMG_2677.jpg

I know this is off topic, but don't you and dave have the same rear bumper? I am taking some welding lessons and am wondering about a kit. Can you put your kit bumper together with a tig welder?

MIG is quicker and you can fill in gaps easier. The MIG setup is also cheaper to buy and easier to learn.

Travis, I hope you do not mind me asking a few welding questions in your thread. Is a mig welder that can plug into 110v okay? A metal guy that I hired to put up some handrails let me go to his shop while he was working on my job and has a mig welder that plugs into 110 for sale ($175). I guess I should do some research on mud about welding.

You're better off posting your welding questions in the Fabrication sub-forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom