Settle Marital Dispute: OEM split rims/Tubeless Wider New Rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The old man wants to keep the splits. The old lady wants to go tubeless because they charge $40/wheel to change the split rim tires, which pays for more than half of the new rims anyway.

Advantages, Disadvantages, opinions on either option?

As I see it, split rims are cool looking, lend themselves to trail repairs of flats, and are extremely dangerous to work with if you don't take proper precautions airing up after a fix.

if he wants to keep the splits because they look sweet and HE wants to work on them then keep em.

After all he did go along with your wild a$$ idea of importing a 25 year old diesel on a freight ship right?

if he does not want to work on them then find a later model non split steel wheel and powder coat them grey so they look close and save the head ache..

just my 2 cents.

btw how's the rack?

clint

You're right, Clint. He does put up with a lot of my questionable notions.

The rack is awesome! I'm going to go over it with a coat of rustoleum here pretty soon. I bought my daughter a new full size mattress and box springs the other day, threw them up on the rack and drove home. Thanks again!

Thanks for the threads Johnny C. I think we'll give her a shot.

Last edited:
split rims = rims no tire shop will mount and also can be incredibly lethal for you to work on.

I decided not to go that route as I live in NA with tire shops everywhere.

You can mount a tire on a non split rim with appropriate irons if thats your thing. It isn't mine.

JohnnyC's link helped settle the issue. I took the split rims into the local powder coat guy (Who's name happens to be Johnny C). They did an excellent job for a good price. New rubber is on the way.
IMG_0117.jpg

I have to go with Brown bear. I had a 65 GMC with splits. They didn't ride as nice as tubeless and if you ever get a flat in the boonies it was my experience that you will have a hard time finding a tire shop willing/equipped to work on them.
Don't see how they are easier to repair on the trail. But I have never been in that situation. In my opinion there are only disadvantages to keeping the splits.

They look great though. Cheers for being different. Let's see some pics.

I should add that I had this experience in FL not WA. Maybe easier to get someone to work on them in WA. Also, I guess mine were similar to the toyota wheels in that they are not a true split rim, but a 2 piece (with mashed potatoes and gravy).

Last edited:
why do you need somebody to work on them?

you buy split rims so you can work on them....and when you live in the boonies...you can fix your tire yourself and not have to worry about a ride to town to have somebody fix your flat.

The old man wants to keep the splits. The old lady wants to go tubeless because they charge $40/wheel to change the split rim tires, which pays for more than half of the new rims anyway.

Advantages, Disadvantages, opinions on either option?

Get the old man some tyre levers and let him change the splitties:D No big deal and they are not dangerous like some split rims. Throw some carpet over the top if your worried.

However,as one seasoned tyre repairer told me,the split rims are no longer so beneficial. One reason is the tubes these days are not the same quality and gadgets like tyre pliers from ARB make changing your own tubeless as easy as split rims.
Also tubeless tyres have become so much better to ride on and generate 30% less heat ,making the tyre last longer;)
Im running split rims on my 75 series but am considering going back to tubeless.
The pRoblem is ,in the remotest parts of central oz ,the only tyres for sale are 16x7.50 for split rims:D

Last edited:
Why are split rims and tubes an advantage?

Ive seen guys repair a tyre and be on their way in 15 mins using only hand tools with split rims

Here are the new tires and the newly powder coated splits. (Notice the rust prevention system my husband's putting in in the background?)
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg

I always loved the look of split rims. They look absolutely great on your truck.
I've changed quite a few 24" tubed truck tires when I was younger (some due to my own stupidity) and i'm still alive. You have to respect those type of wheels first and foremost, meaning first thing to do is use a lock on chuck and stand clear when filling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom