Setting up storage Disposal of seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also very Wisconsin right here
It was actually really cool, they built a platform and upholstered it, you have the flip down arm rests in the center. It was a cool garage couch.

It was actually really cool, they built a platform and upholstered it, you have the flip down arm rests in the center. It was a cool garage couch.
Great point. Most of the time I just see two front seats from those boy-racer types who want the recaros instead. That CAN be cool, but generally not as comfortable as a LC couch haha

Here are a few pictures. I didn't use wood tall enough for the ends and dividers, so I had to cut a header to make enough room for the drawers. This is about as cheap as you can make it, even considering lumber prices. I used 3/4" plywood and 1x12 boards. With the drawers, I have maybe $125 in it?

The notch on the left is for a Coleman lantern in a hard case.

Storage 1.jpg
Storage 2.jpg
Storage 3.jpg

Here are a few pictures. I didn't use wood tall enough for the ends and dividers, so I had to cut a header to make enough room for the drawers. This is about as cheap as you can make it, even considering lumber prices. I used 3/4" plywood and 1x12 boards. With the drawers, I have maybe $125 in it?

The notch on the left is for a Coleman lantern in a hard case.

View attachment 2781834View attachment 2781835View attachment 2781836
That is not too bad at all! At first, I questioned the height but then I saw that it almost perfectly aligns with the rear gate. very cool. If you had to do it again, is there anything you would change?

About the sleeping platform/storage. What is your intended purpose? Will you be sleeping in it a lot? Will it be for a weekend at a time or will you have a months work of gear with you?

I have gone through about 4 designs in my truck. I finally settled on on that is basically "not a sleeping platform".

Sleeping platforms are great becouse you have storage underneath. But the shortteups where you dont need that storage space it is then waisted space. You loose a tone of headroom withthe sleeping plarform which makes it so much more cramped in the truck. Yes they are cool and can be great. But really limit the space sleeping in the truck.

At some point I had gotten rid of my sleeping platform with the idea of building a new one. At one point I simply remover rear seats and spent a weekend sleeping in it with just no seats. Wow, the think is huge with room to sit up and read a book and everything. It is so much better than a sleeping platform.

The key is developing a storage system. Most stuff in the truck is in bins or pelican cases. At camp simply pull them out of the truck. Some times I slide them under the rear of truck. They dont even have dew on them in the morning that way. The stuff that I dont want out of the truck like camera bag I just set in the front seat. Really takes me about 5 min to pull out my cooler and a few bins of stuff.

Think about this. Even with a sleeping platform stuff like a cooler will need to be removed to make use of the space.

The things that always stay in my truck I found permanent storage for that doesn't take up internal space. Made storage in my quarter panels for tools and trail parts. I installed hatches in the tailgait where all my recovery gear lives. Fire extinguisher lives under pass seatwhererear heater was and so on. Tried to make best use of the space I have.

I also did make storage area that encloses the area around the rear wheel wells. This way I dont loose any floor space but do have some additional storage there. Have a compressor hard wired there. Can also store stuff like a broken down fly rod or a short rifle if I am outshooting.

That is not too bad at all! At first, I questioned the height but then I saw that it almost perfectly aligns with the rear gate. very cool. If you had to do it again, is there anything you would change?

I would try to find a way to make it a little lighter. It's too heavy to easily move with just one person. Probably no real reason to do a solid board across the bottom.

The height is handy because you only have to raise the lift gate to get your cooler or storage containers out. Also, thieves can't see what's in your storage from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom