Setting up my 93 fzj80 for water crossings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just looking for more information on what I need to do to my 80 before considering any sort of water crossing. I have the Arb diff breather kit already.
Thanks

Snorkel. Replace all door weather stripping. Make sure firewall gromets are intact.

Sounds sarcastic but I'm serious. The gasoline powered 80s are not great for much more than shallow water crossings. You can add diff breathers and snorkels which night help a little but the ECU is down low behind the glove box. Once the electrics get wet things go down hill fast. Not being able to manually control the viscous fan helps ensure water is moved quickly to all the high areas on the engine bay.

Don’t do it.
This was taken after I had got the truck stabilized after it dug into the back and listed towards the driver side. Water was 3” from coming in the windows. I was in 37’s and the water was less than 24” deep. The sand just washed away when I tried to crawl out.
BA775F41-6171-4CBA-B639-BC20EF26E8B4.png

Snorkel, seal distributor, dip stick tubes, extend breathers for transmission, transfer case, fuel tank. Replace all body seals and weather stripping, dielectric grease all connectors, remove brake dust covers from the hubs to allow rocks to fall out. Plugs for the frame holes cause they’ll fill with 50lbs of sand

Don't forgot to plug or make some breather lines for the dizzy.

Also forgot remove the factory alarm because if it gets wet it will activate and you’ll be dead on the bank.
E36C9896-6517-43BD-975C-BBCDB5F3A8E9.png

Sounds sarcastic but I'm serious. The gasoline powered 80s are not great for much more than shallow water crossings. You can add diff breathers and snorkels which night help a little but the ECU is down low behind the glove box. Once the electrics get wet things go down hill fast. Not being able to manually control the viscous fan helps ensure water is moved quickly to all the high areas on the engine bay.
Lol kinda was but thank you for the info I’m not considering crossing deep waters but just looking at what I need to protect my vehicle if I go threw water deeper than I suspected

But you should be fine.....

I check the owners manual for my '94 and surprisingly it does not mention anything about water crossings. I seem to recall that my range rover gave guidelines of not crossing water deeper than the mid-point of the wheels.

I check the owners manual for my '94 and surprisingly it does not mention anything about water crossings. I seem to recall that my range rover gave guidelines of not crossing water deeper than the mid-point of the wheels.
That's because they are basically submarine tanks. :flipoff2:

Make sure you have a good reverse gear and back up skills. No need to try to cross water above the axles or rockers. Just asking for it. There is a price for macho. Pay if you like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom