Setting timing on FJ60? any videos or FAQ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I miss read your previous post. I just cleaned the bb out with a q-tip and painted just the bb with a white paint pen, filled it in. It shows up great when the light is in action. I guess if it was out enough the bb might not be in the window at all, but it would be running rough.
I did fill it in the BB with a white sharpie pen. I justed wanted to check. My BB has a hole in the middle. The RPMs were around 680 per my INNOVA timing light.

Does your timing light have dial back? You can move that around and see if the BB shows up.

***Mark the current position of the distributor before you do the below**

If you don't have the dial-back option, just slowly rotate the distributor until you see it. If its running pretty well, it has to be close!

If you have a dial back timing light, the dial back should be set to zero. Both vacuum hoses to the distributor advance diaphragm should be disconnected and the free ends of the hoses plugged (I use golf tees). Connect the light to the #1 spark plug wire. Open the window on the front facing side of the bell housing. Run the engine at idle and point the light at the timing window (this is really the hardest part!).

If you don't see the BB and you have a dial back light, you can advance or retard the light a few degrees at a time to see if it shows up. or you can rotate the distributor slowly one way or the other--remember the original orientation of the distributor.

If you have a dial back timing light, the dial back should be set to zero. Both vacuum hoses to the distributor advance diaphragm should be disconnected and the free ends of the hoses plugged (I use golf tees). Connect the light to the #1 spark plug wire. Open the window on the front facing side of the bell housing. Run the engine at idle and point the light at the timing window (this is really the hardest part!).

If you don't see the BB and you have a dial back light, you can advance or retard the light a few degrees at a time to see if it shows up. or you can rotate the distributor slowly one way or the other--remember the original orientation of the distributor.
Ok...so the marked BB was showing up today on my INNOVA timing light. The the timing helped me see it with moving the light a few degress as suggested by @2mbb. I had to retard the dizzy and its purring like an old sewing machine. Then I went back and adjusted the idle as OTRAMM does it on his YT Channel. Thanks guys and for this thread.

Since we have a zombie thread going here….

I’ll be adjusting timing and carb this week to get rid of a slight misfire and running rich at idle. Is the process to dial in carb idle, then timing, then come back and tweak carb, then do a test drive to make sure the truck isn’t pinging or backfiring under load? I’m not sure which to start with.

1983 60, stock smogged 2F, Jim C carb last fall, HAC does not work but everything else does. Replaced all vacuum hoses and checked for leaks last year - all good there. I do a valve job every 3 months, did it two days ago. I’m in Denver at 5280’ elevation. I put extra gauges in the cabin: vacuum (15inHg at idle), Air/Fuel (11.5 at idle - yikes! - ~14.7 under partial throttle, ~16-17 at WOT - also yikes), and water temp (steady at 178-190 at all times in any weather).

I want to start by getting my idle mixture right. I’ve already cooked one catalytic converter four months after it was installed and I’ll have to pass smog next year. But I also feel the slight idle misfire at the tailpipe and see the engine shaking a little. I feel like my issues are both timing AND carb related and I want to make sure I’m dialing them in together the proper way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom