Setting the timing, and skeptical of the readings I'm getting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've completed a tune-up, including a refresh of the fuel delivery components, including FP regular, relay, filters, etc. It starts like a champ and fires up on the first crank when cold, but hot starts will crank and stumble for a bit. It always does start though, so this is not super critical. The last thing I"m doing is setting the timing, however I'm getting some weird readings.

I have a BlueDriver scan tool (the LSB2 model) and once warmed up and all accessories off that's giving me a reading of around 4-4.5 degrees, and then with the E1 and TE1 terminals shorted it drops to 3, which seems ok right? However, when I hook up my timing light I'm seeing the flywheel mark to the RIGHT of the 0 mark by about 3 degrees, so that would be -3?. When I short the service box terminals it moves even more to the right, maybe another couple degrees. That would seem to be significantly retarded, yes?

So the question is, what is the right answer here? It's a timing light with an advance on it, but it's configured to zero, so do I trust the light? Do I trust the timing marks? Do I trust the scan tool "live" readings?

How does it run? well, it's pretty slow and consumes a lot of gas...haha.

I do have a FSM (but thanks for the link).

I'm just not sure what readings to believe, and I'm uncomfortable setting from what appears to be -6 up to 3 for idle (with the jumper in place). I think my next move might be to verify with a different timing light. If it was truly at -6, it would run horribly right?

I found this link, lots of helpful information in there about a scan gauge and how basically it's making the assumption that you are set at 3 degrees already. I confirmed this by adjusting the distributor and it didn't change the value on my scanner. I'm going to compare with another timing light and if my two lights give me the same value I'm going to set it to spec and move on and just listen for pings and scan the knock sensor occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom