Service shop- Raleigh NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone recommend a maintenance shop in Raleigh?

My rig suddenly has a fueling stutter issue and need to seek out help.

Thx

i recommend Renaissance Auto in Cary. Jay is a great dude and will take care of you. Prior to moving to Cary, I was taking mine to Youngbloods Automotive and John is also great.

YMMV but I and a few others have had issues with Carolina Offroad Outfitters in the past.

Talk to Jay at Renaissance.

Thanks all ..I had Fred Anderson do a quick diagnosis since they are right by me.

Turns out #5 & #6 only have 20psi/ #4 was 160/ #3 was 177/ #2 was 180/ #1 was 178.

Car wasn't smoking out the tailpipe, I'm not losing oil or coolant (outside of normal leaks..lol)...I'm thinking HG blew out between the cylinders. So hopefully I can scoot by with just a top end rebuild??

I really like this truck and it's newish paint and very little rust.

Guess I'll give Jay a call for a proper teardown.

Thanks all ..I had Fred Anderson do a quick diagnosis since they are right by me.

Turns out #5 & #6 only have 20psi/ #4 was 160/ #3 was 177/ #2 was 180/ #1 was 178.

Car wasn't smoking out the tailpipe, I'm not losing oil or coolant (outside of normal leaks..lol)...I'm thinking HG blew out between the cylinders. So hopefully I can scoot by with just a top end rebuild??

I really like this truck and it's newish paint and very little rust.

Guess I'll give Jay a call for a proper teardown.
Just for information purposes, Renaissance says they won't do an engine rebuild- they said they'd swap an engine, but heck if I'm getting in that deep why would I not do preventative work on it too.

Any other shops out there that may take on a an engine build that you all know?

pull the accessories off. pull the head and check it out (some Saturday) take the head and or block if needed to a machine shop let them rebuild it (~3 weeks). bring it home, drop it in and bolt everything back on (following weekend). been there done that. schedule a HAMOM if you need some assistance with it. Just a thought.

pull the accessories off. pull the head and check it out (some Saturday) take the head and or block if needed to a machine shop let them rebuild it (~3 weeks). bring it home, drop it in and bolt everything back on (following weekend). been there done that. schedule a HAMOM if you need some assistance with it. Just a thought.

Do you have a compressor? If so, you can borrow my leak down tester. It takes a bit of knowledge on how to get each cylinder at TDC for individual cylinder testing, but if you can do that you will learn where the compression loss is coming from.

During the test you remove the radiator cap, open the throttle, oil fill cap and then listen for where the air is escaping:

Exhaust = exhaust valves = head rebuild
Intake = intake valves = head rebuild
Radiator = head gasket
Crankcase = rings = $$$$ (bottom end needs rebuild)

:beer: Ramon

Do you have a compressor? If so, you can borrow my leak down tester. It takes a bit of knowledge on how to get each cylinder at TDC for individual cylinder testing, but if you can do that you will learn where the compression loss is coming from.

During the test you remove the radiator cap, open the throttle, oil fill cap and then listen for where the air is escaping:

Exhaust = exhaust valves = head rebuild
Intake = intake valves = head rebuild
Radiator = head gasket
Crankcase = rings = $$$$ (bottom end needs rebuild)

:beer: Ramon
Appreciate the offer! I may take you up on that- I first need to get the rig back to my house- I'm assuming driving it on 4 cylinders would be a bad idea.

Appreciate the offer! I may take you up on that- I first need to get the rig back to my house- I'm assuming driving it on 4 cylinders would be a bad idea.
I sure wouldn't. I'd offer to loan my car hauler but my tags are out and I've been putting off a trip to the DMV during the pandemic.

i got a car hauler i wouldn't risk driving it.

i got a car hauler i wouldn't risk driving it.
I actually got toyota to trailer it back home for me! Only 6 miles away... So for now, she sits...
PXL_20210323_191114049.jpg

I actually got toyota to trailer it back home for me! Only 6 miles away... So for now, she sits...View attachment 2623882
Ive seen your rig when I drop my son off at school on Leesville. Very nice truck.

I blew my HG two years ago and took it to Autotek in South Raleigh. They work with 80s all the time. Not the best Ive seen in putting everything back, or fixing my exhaust leak, but did the job.

Ive seen your rig when I drop my son off at school on Leesville. Very nice truck.

I blew my HG two years ago and took it to Autotek in South Raleigh. They work with 80s all the time. Not the best Ive seen in putting everything back, or fixing my exhaust leak, but did the job.

Good to know- I'm still toying with the idea of a v8. In the mean time, I found a provisional rig...lol. HOA loves me, I bet

PXL_20210327_171902049~2.jpg

Is that a TA or FB across the street?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom