Serpentine belt tensioner - OE part different size pulley? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello community. I seek your wisdom!

I'm replacing my serpentine belt tensioner as a part of a timing belt replacement. However, I've discovered that the OE (or at least I think it's the OE part from Aisin) has a different size pulley wheel than the one that came out of my 1999 land cruiser.

Should I install the new part? Does that mean I need a different length belt? Anyone run into this before?

Here's a photo of the old one (on the left) and the new Aisin one on the right.

I ordered this part number: 16620-0W036. Do I need a different belt? or should I not use this part.

serpentine belt tensioner.jpeg

The old one looks like an aftermarket part. The new one you ordered looks correct.

Yes. The original pulley for the ‘99 is larger than the “updated” version. Can’t remember the years involved but it did change sizes for some reason. Now I’ve gotta look it up again to figure this out.

I agree @hoser, tension is what matters!

Interestingly, I was just looking at a bucket of tensioner pulleys. Seems we've 3 styles and 2 different sizes over the years. I also currently see 3 different PN# for OEM tensioner. With newest being 16620-0W101, older 16620-0W036, 16620-0W100.

We also "may" have 2 different belt sizes. I say "may". As one day years ago, at a Toyota parts counter. My parts guy and I looked, at 3 belts he found PN #'s for the 100 series. Seem one was a tad longer. But we measured by just hold in hands, so not very accurate. We also had notice the backs had variations, form smooth to grainy. Also, 2 had a thicker furry looking ribs. IMHO the belt with grain back, thicker furry ribs will slip less when wet, but likely be slightly louder belt.

I've also found a few belts, rubbing on tension body. It's been unclear if those were factory or replacement Toyota's. But they did look like factory install, and said Toyota on them. Some, had more than a 1 - 2mm deep score on the tension housing body. Belt marks on those pulleys, was narrow and rode to the inside. Pulley's appeared square and to spin true. So either issue with manufacturing of the body or over torqued. Or even the stud through water pump, not seated/torqued properly. Could even be variation in water pumps. When I replaced the water pump with Aisin T-belt kit supplied, Toyota belt, Toyota tensioner and used a torque wrench. Belts rode without rubbing tensioner body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom