Serpentine belt - OEM of aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dealer wants $130 for a belt, I can get one for $82 online. Aftermarket is way cheaper.

Pros and cons? I know on the 80 that if you use an aftermarket toothed belt set it howls like crazy.

Should I order the idler pulley as well, for a trail spare? How many are there?

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Why are you replacing the serp belt? If it was noisy or damaged, the idler (1) and tensioner (1) might be worth replacing too. If you are just routinely replacing it, then also just routinely check the operation of the idler and make sure it's smooth. The belt mentioned above is only $32.

@bjowett do you happen to have part #s for idler and tensioner?

Just FYI, I recently replaced my belt with a gates and it squealed worse than the defective OEM unit. I immediately forked out the $130 for the new OEM belt, and no squeal anymore. I didn't realize my engine was that picky about non OEM parts. Maybe it's an isolated incident, but I recommend spending the extra bucks and getting OEM on the belt. Maybe others can chime in with their experience, but mine wasn't good with Gates.

Although I'm aware of when real Toyota parts should be used, I've used Gates belts (or NAPA showing Gates as the mfr.) for the last 8 years in :princess:'s LX and my Cruiser. No issues whatever.

Steve

I did not make this clear, I am buying for my spares kit. My belt seems fine.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Although I'm aware of when real Toyota parts should be used, I've used Gates belts (or NAPA showing Gates as the mfr.) for the last 8 years in :princess:'s LX and my Cruiser. No issues whatever.

Steve

I have used Gates in the past with no issues in other vehicles. They have a great reputation and are well received in most automotive communities. But for whatever reason, my LC did not like it. It sucks because my Gates was $60 and the OEM $130. Oh well, she is quiet and purrrring like a cat now :)

The Mitsuboshi and Bando belts can be purchased for under $40. Both are OEM suppliers for Toyota. The belt you need is an 8pk-2410.
Woohoo! I love this forum, that belt is just $28 at Amazon Prime. Thanks for the info.

Amazon.com: Bando 8PK2410 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt: Automotive

BTW I always call my closest dealer (Larry H Miller) to check prices, just for a laugh and a reality check. I do buy coolant there because for whatever reason, he only charges $24 per gallon. Everything else is at MSRP, or 10-20% _over_ MSRP. I can't understand how he stays in business. Over the many years I have bought a ton of Cruiser parts. I asked their parts manager if he could give me a 10 or 20% discount and I would buy everything there. He declined, so screw them....

Does anybody actually like their local dealer? I have never experienced a single one, of any brand, that I could tolerate.

Thanks again for the belt info.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Woohoo! I love this forum, that belt is just $28 at Amazon Prime. Thanks for the info.

Amazon.com: Bando 8PK2410 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt: Automotive

BTW I always call my closest dealer (Larry H Miller) to check prices, just for a laugh and a reality check. I do buy coolant there because for whatever reason, he only charges $24 per gallon. Everything else is at MSRP, or 10-20% _over_ MSRP. I can't understand how he stays in business. Over the many years I have bought a ton of Cruiser parts. I asked their parts manager if he could give me a 10 or 20% discount and I would buy everything there. He declined, so screw them....

Does anybody actually like their local dealer? I have never experienced a single one, of any brand, that I could tolerate.

Thanks again for the belt info.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I asked a local dealer parts director for a 25% discount on OEM parts and she said "Sure, no problem." I double checked to make sure the dealer wasn't inflating the OEM price 25% and then giving me 25% off and they weren't. They get all my OEM parts business, which as amounted to $1000's over the years. It was a good deal for both of us. In fact, I asked if she would give that discount to any MUD members in Michigan and it was again "No problem". Some parts departments "get it" and some don't.

Danna at Toyota in Nampa gives me 10% off, sometimes a bit more...TLCA member.

Peterson Lexus used to discount ~ 28%...typical online discount.About a year ago, parts manager said no more discounts. Asked why and was advised it was a "management decision". Found out later from another parts guy there that it was the parts managers decision...they also noted he just doesn't have the cojones to admit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom