Seriously - Rebuild the axles ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you know me from my tundra v8 swap
https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/341445-project-effjjay-eighty-2uz-powered.html

Now this thread may sound like im whining, its more of a rant since I like to do writeups with photos and hear your feedback.

To say that so far i've found, several dare I say flaws. Would be an understatement.

Blown motor (which is why I purchased) - fixed V8 swap (priceless)

From the usual non working windows. To a 2x4 block custom shaped and drilled/zip tied into the inner door skin to hold up the left rear window. Some of this is usual for a used rig with an unknown past with a PO.

Also not uncommon locker motors not working - fixed

Now the next saga begins - Axle rebuilds at the front and rear.

I heard a noise and experienced some unusual vibration from the front and rear. The rig has started unusually darting side to side. Acceleration results in drifting to the left and deceleration results in drifting right when on a flat road holding the steering wheel straight.

Then monday night. The dreaded clunk. (seriously are you going to make me do this ? what a costly month this has been)

Jack up the front to find that im able to move the front wheels almost an inch at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. Gawd damnit :mad:

I pull the wheels and brakes. Then onto the drive flanges in which every single one of the 12 studs is stripped and the nuts are stuck on and needed to be removed with a slide hammer... only to confirm my suspision.

The spindle nuts backed all the way off to the last thread on the spindle. So they are ***c'd as are the bearings, rotors, pads and who knows what else. I was told the front end was rebuilt several months before I purchased it. Looks like a botched job :crybaby:

DSC09750.jpg

The nut backed off

DSC09764.jpg

The bearing riding on the washer

DSC09766.jpg

The inner bearing riding where ever the fawk it wanted, thus causing a "new" variable surface. Discoloration and heat spotting are hard to read but are prevelant

DSC09751.jpg

DSC09752.jpg

Now the underside on the outter bearing is where its really jacked up. The bearing was spinning freely and creating a variable surface of its own as well. Spindles = scrap

DSC09754.jpg

Under

DSC09755.jpg

DSC09756.jpg

Uber custom drivers side birfield circlip area. I suspect the splines got messed up and the PO decided grinding the bad area was the best fix.

DSC09761.jpg

Well I suppose I should check the rear hubs too since its a FF. Sure as sh1t the right rear hub is all fawked up too and it has some type of rubber seal or gasket inside that looks like a coiled up snake thats bound up in the bearing casing and lock/stop.

Brakes within thousanths of thier life

DSC09745.jpg

DSC09746.jpg

Aargh, what a mess!:mad:

Just curious, do you know who did the "axle rebuild"? The PO, independent mechanic, dealership?

Ouch. At least it'll be put together correctly the second time! I have the same problem with the spindles on my 60.

Anyone run without the brake backing plate ?

I run my street cars w/o brake backing plates, but not sure if it helps or harms more with debris offroad.

So far Im looking at these items. Pricing is totally random. I hope my final tally will be less than this. I havent sourced anything yet. Im going to have to sell off one or multiple of these things Losi LST RC truck, some stereo equipment, built 4runner and or TL1000R streetbike to make this happen.

All 4 Rotors Left and Right, front and rear - plus or minus $300 for aftermarket ones (I dont need them to last forever)
All brake pads Left and Right, front and rear $100 for aftermarket ones (I dont need them to last forever)
The rear bearings I think will be fine to re-use.
Just need a pair of new inner axle tube seals $30
Inner and outer front bearings tapers and races for left and right $80
Inner front hub seals $30
Spindles $250 pair of new aftermarket because im broke
Caliper rebuild kits $80
ABS Sensor pass front $125
Drive flange studs and nuts $40
54mm socket $20

I guess when I pull it apart tonight ill find out if I need a knuckle rebuild kit, trunion bearings or birf's

There are a bunch of 40 and 60 guys, including myself, that are running without the front brake backing plates without problems.

Can't you just find used ( good ) spindles for the front axle?

GLTHFJ60, I havent had any luck finding good used ones for a reasonable cost. If its only a difference of 50$ at this point its worth the piece of mind that a new product would give me.

So last night I found more carnage. The pass side birf was half destroyed. I think one more outing would have had me posting in my other thread about "field replacment of a birfield"

Destroyed ABS sensor thats causing the pulsation during the 5-0mph stops

DSC09767.jpg

I heard someone say they used two boxes of gloves. I can relate, I think I used 3 boxes. Got daym thats a fawking mess in there. I think there must have been three tubs of grease in each side.
How much is the right amount ?

This is one side partly cleaned !

DSC09769.jpg

DSC09770.jpg

Piles of parts

DSC09771.jpg

I dont know if anyone has experience with these aftermarket GCK axles but they look like better than the oem that came out the pass side. Sold by Kragen/CSK/Shucks

DSC09772.jpg

Inner shaft driver side

DSC09773.jpg

Pass side inner.

DSC09775.jpg

Marred up and chunked out

DSC09776.jpg

Stress fractures and wear on the inner

DSC09778.jpg

Chunk out of inner birf on the pass side

DSC09782.jpg

Chipped shell

DSC09784.jpg

Is this wear normal here ?

DSC09786.jpg

Looks like debris maybe cause the groove in the axle ?
Or maybe the groove was the seal a little farther in, ill have to look again

DSC09787.jpg

You can see how bad the step really is in the spindle. More than a few thou.

DSC09791.jpg

As for the front axle situation, was it possible that the star washer wasn't properly bent, leading to the nuts backing off?

For such a critical detail that bending one ear of the washer towards the rear, and one towards the front, you would think the FSM would highlight the crap out of the technique, or at least use some extra punctuation like a few exclaimation marks around that step.

It seems a few freshly rebuilt axles have gone rogue based on that little devil in technique.

As for the front axle situation, was it possible that the star washer wasn't properly bent, leading to the nuts backing off?

For such a critical detail that bending one ear of the washer towards the rear, and one towards the front, you would think the FSM would highlight the crap out of the technique, or at least use some extra punctuation like a few exclaimation marks around that step.

It seems a few freshly rebuilt axles have gone rogue based on that little devil in technique.

You sir are correct. If they were bent at one point, when the nuts backed off it flattened the washer 95% to the point that I couldnt tell it was bent.

Your cost breakdown could be better if you shop somewhere else. Try action autos in Lynnwood or Napa in MLT.

160 - brake rotors, 80 for the front and 80 for the rear
150 - loaded rebuilt calipers at Olympic Brakes
I might have 80 spindles, will check
buy bearings and seals from Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com (use Marlin seals)
get ARP studs from your favorite autoparts store
might need to replace the hub housing if the studs were that bad
since you're this far you might as well replace the knuckle bearings and dust shield

I wouldn't take the backing plate off personally, but that's because I use good quality rotors and am not worried about warping. This is because I wheel the s*** out of my rig, and the dirt/rocks would be menacing.

The ABS sensor getting eaten up tells me you need to shim your knuckles and re-center them to the axle housing. No matter how messed up your bearings are, that shouldn't happen, because it rides within the spindle sphere.

Your cost breakdown could be better if you shop somewhere else. Try action autos in Lynnwood or Napa in MLT.

160 - brake rotors, 80 for the front and 80 for the rear
150 - loaded rebuilt calipers at Olympic Brakes
I might have 80 spindles, will check
buy bearings and seals from Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com (use Marlin seals)
get ARP studs from your favorite autoparts store
might need to replace the hub housing if the studs were that bad
since you're this far you might as well replace the knuckle bearings and dust shield

I wouldn't take the backing plate off personally, but that's because I use good quality rotors and am not worried about warping. This is because I wheel the **** out of my rig, and the dirt/rocks would be menacing.

Yesterday I got hooked up at Action. 295 for front and rear rotors, front and rear pads, front hub bearings inner and outer and inner seals. So now just spindles, right axle and drive flange studs. Ill hook up with you today or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom