Serious LC Car Crash - Thoughts on Future Prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought this pretty interesting:
Slush planing testing

That is exactly what I was saying in post #9! I don't think it matters if you have VSC, ATRAC, Center diff lock, rear diff lock, ABS, or studded ice tires. When you lose contact with the ground, it don't matter what your driving.

what if you're in:
130_south-pole.jpg

AFAIK, there's nothing in the t-case that can variably split the power front and rear during normal driving, it's an open diff just like the front and rear axles.

The diff is exactly what splits the power, with diff locked it's 50/50... with the c-diff active(normal) it is variable based on axle speed and traction. Thats the difference between an all wheel drive and a part time 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Snow tires make a huge difference on any vehicle. I have converted countless people over to dedicated snow tires. Hell, it's your life and family at risk. If you can afford a LC/LX, you can sure as hell afford a decent set of tires. If you have never driven on proper snow tires, you will be amazed the first time you do, particularly under braking.

Good to know the rig handled the beating without issue. These trucks are incredibly safe and capable, and this is exactly why I have my wife driving one. "Green" people seem to be aggravated by the fact that she commutes alone in a nearly 6000 lb SUV every day, but to me it is well worth the cost.

We previously had a 97 LX and now a 2003, and the newer truck is much nicer all around (we are not off-roading, however). The traction control can be annoying and obtrusive, but it just plain works when it is required.

In Germany (Europe?) snow tires are required in snowy conditions. Ticket or in case of accident you are considered at fault.

My experience with VSC in the last 10 years is that it works. It most likely helped my wife maintain control of the 06 LX when she "lost" it and it quickly straightened out. Some drivers are better then others but these systems are a lot faster then your reaction time. Driving across a slush bank is very dangerous and to be avoided no matter what you drive but the vsc senses yaw and there is a good chance that it could have staightened you out before you had a chance to react. BUY VSC!!!

in 2001 when I got a limited 4 runner with vsc I wanted to know. I took the 'runner in to a ver muddy situation, gunned it and started tossing it around. The respones of VSC is simply amazing and what used to be an adventure suddenly became very boring. But then later when I hit a slide in very inclement whether it took over before I had time to react to the suddenes of the event. We all may be very good drivers but usually it comes out of nowhere and the driver is unprepared.

Buy a 2000 or later, never mind lockers for street use. Auto traction is much better for all around use.

I am glad to hear you made it out of this one in 1 piece and it is a perfect example why computers can be very nice to have as a copilot who never tires and it is proven they are better then humans ;) in faster response times. Space shuttle flies with computers with manual overide "just in case"!

Just remember, VSC works better with better suited tires.

German, or central/south european winter tires are not a good example btw. They are made for the wet or dry highways primarily, with the possibility for a light frosting. The Mich LTX is better than any of them on real snow/ice/slush conditions, and a dedicated snow tire even better. Also known as a Nordic Winter Tire in europe.
It all depends on local conditions tho'. (As: No point in "Nordic winter" if you live/drive in southern France/California)

You effectively hydroplaned when you hit that tiny little ramp at 40 mph and I personally don't believe it matters what kind of car you drive if you don't have traction between you and the pavement. Just my .02.

I am really glad you are ok and sad to see a LC in that shape but it did its job.

With skinnier tires you would have had a better chance at getting into the other lane at that speed. Think of those big, wide tires as skis at that speed.

Glad you're ok. Whenever I try to switch lanes here in Wisconsin with slush, ice and snow in the middle of the road I always let off the gas and keep the vehicle pointed pretty straight down the road. If you come in at a steep angle to the slush with your foot on the gas that's asking for problems. New tires would have helped but I think speed and lack of experience in driving in snow and ice was the culprit. I have a 99 and it's pretty darn good in the snow. The best thing to do is keep a light foot on the gas, keep your speed low and be very diligent. Once the rear comes out from under you, you need to correct quickly or you'll go into a spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom