Series 200 transmission dislikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone here dislike the shifting limitations that Toyota puts on the series 200 transmission? In high range you cannot shift into first gear over 22 mph in my 2015. That only results in about 3500 RPM. In low range it will not downshift to first over 10 mph with an even lower resulting RPM. It will not go above fourth gear in low range. When one shifts in high range from drive to manual it automatically downshifts to fourth gear. I had a 95 series 80 that I bought new that my older daughter now has. I have an 04 series 100 that I bought used for hunting use four years ago. I bought this 2015 new and I have joined this forum for the first time. I have loved essentially everything about all of my Land Cruisers except this. Are there any “fixes“, remapping/reprogramming that can be done to get rid of these nannies? Thank you ahead of time or any thoughts or help.

I notice those things also.

I tow a lot, so not being able to shift to first gear above 22mph sometimes creates a lack of engine braking in very steep slow grades. Particularly when upsized with larger tires. I can understand why they do it, because the lurch in low traction situations can very likely break traction and create a safety issue.

I find the dropping to 4th gear when shifting to manual to be a help rather than a hindrance. 5th and 6th are close enough together that dropping down to 4th is more often correct than not for my driving style. It will also drop down directly to 3rd in lower speeds.

Personally, I don't find any of this to be particularly limiting. Sure, I like the ability for full control as I'm a connoisseur of manual trannies in other cars, but I find the nature of the 6-speed in the cruiser to be an honest and sweet transmission.

There are mods around like Econ*lock. Not for lowgear, for normal driving. ECON*LOCK

I like to choose the gear I like, and dont let the automatic choose.

There are mods around like Econ*lock. Not for lowgear, for normal driving. ECON*LOCK

I like to choose the gear I like, and dont let the automatic choose.
Thank you very much for your responses. Unfortunately I live in United States and ECON*LOCK only appears to work on the diesel 200s. It sounds like a great option. The fact that I cannot get the engine braking when I’m driving in the mountains on pavement and on the dirt off roading of which I do both of so much, for this car lives in Telluride, Colorado, is consistently annoying. I also prefer to choose. Again, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom