serie 80 snorkle OME (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you mean OEM snorkel? The part number has only been available for a little while gotmud was selling them.

If you are looking for an aftermarket safari snorkel cruiser outfitters has them for $350.

Mot(on the board) sells them in Japan, very pricey though. I asked him once and if I remember correctly, a OEM Toyota snorkel is around $600.

Around how much could cost a OME(toyota) snorkle in the USA ?

$214 shipped to the US iirc, i helped Ferg with a set.

but he had a different topper the round smaller one.

$135 for parts and $80 for shipping

PRECLEANER ASSY, AIR 1 5370760010
BRACKET SUB-ASSY, 1 5377360010
BRACKET, AIR 1 5320760041
DUCT SUB-ASSY, COOL 1 5285360010
BRACKET, COOL AIR 1 5320860010
DUCT S/A, COOL AIR 1 5320960030
DUCT SUB ASSY
1 5280560011
BRACKET SUB-ASSY, 1 9011908869
BOLT, W/WASHER 2 9026906006
RIVET
4 9011906593
BOLT, W/WASHER 1 9011906594
BOLT, W/WASHER 2

Mot(on the board) sells them in Japan, very pricey though. I asked him once and if I remember correctly, a OEM Toyota snorkel is around $600.

Prices have dropped since then, apprently. I purchased and shipped my OEM snorkle from Mot for less then purchasing and shipping the OME snorkle from Slee.

I dont remember it being so cheap, but maybe it has fallen. I remember it being a huge price different between the 2.

OEM snorkel is about the same price as the aftermarket one. I bought one and installed it for a '91 FJ80. I did the article for Toyota Trails as well. Like mentioned the price is comparable to the aftermarket, not $600. It is not a Kit, and some of the parts can not be purchased through a U.S. dealer. There are no instructions, as it is not a kit, but OEM parts. That said it takes a bit of fab skills to mount it up correctly, but not impossible. I really liked the final fit and look of mine. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the aftermarket parts as i have no experience with them. Search OEM Snorkel here on MUD there are a couple threads.

I personally don't dig the look of the OEM snorkel. does it come with a pre-cooler or whatever they are called, right out of the box? or is the dome top just another way to prevent debris from entering the snorkel

It is an enclosed housing for the pre cleaner. There are stationary vanes in there that are intended to spin the air before it goes into the down tube and separate heavy debris. The factory snorkel is more for taking in air a bit higher than stock, where there is typically less big heavy particles. The flange at the fender opening is not water sealed and under water will allow water into the air filter. That seal needs to be made by the installer if this snorkel is intended to be used for fording anything. I am pretty sure the safari snorkel is intended for the same, but is also marketed for fording. The OEM piece is designed for use in highly dusty regions,like the desert but can be sealed for use in water.

I personally don't dig the look of the OEM snorkel. does it come with a pre-cooler or whatever they are called, right out of the box? or is the dome top just another way to prevent debris from entering the snorkel

u have a choice of two different tops, it's not a kit per say, but u buy the different parts separately, mine has the closed top (opening on rear see pic), while the one Ferg got had the old school open style one, here's a picture of the parts installed, also it's not water proof out of the box, nothing a little silicone can't solve.
2411.jpeg
2421.jpeg

I zip tied the antenna under the hood. The motor was disconnected. Surprisingly it still got reception. I ran satellite radio for the most part, so it did not bother me.

Those of you using the OEM snorkel, what do you do about the power antenna?

I filled the stock antenna location and painted over it, you can't tell where it was now. I then tied the radio into my CB antenna using the splitter sold by firestik. It works great, really- too well at times, when parked under power lines I get a lot of 'noise'.

But, I can get just about any radio station I care to now.

I filled the stock antenna location and painted over it, you can't tell where it was now. I then tied the radio into my CB antenna using the splitter sold by firestik. It works great, really- too well at times, when parked under power lines I get a lot of 'noise'.

But, I can get just about any radio station I care to now.

Really? I was told that this wouldn't work, but apparently it does. Do you just turn off the radio when you want to use the CB and vise versa?

Do you get a lot of static noise through the radio when you drive past power lines?

It does work, and no- you don't have to turn one off to have functionality of the other.

I can listen to tunes and the C/B at the same time, and have done so this past winter when heading down I-35 in snow/ice.

You do pick up a lot of 'noise' when parked under a power line (eg- being first in line at a stop light..) but it dissapates quickly once you move a cars length away.

It really is a pretty trick set-up. Nice to only have the one antenna now.

It does work, and no- you don't have to turn one off to have functionality of the other.

I can listen to tunes and the C/B at the same time, and have done so this past winter when heading down I-35 in snow/ice.

You do pick up a lot of 'noise' when parked under a power line (eg- being first in line at a stop light..) but it dissapates quickly once you move a cars length away.

It really is a pretty trick set-up. Nice to only have the one antenna now.

Very nice to know. I thought about doing this back when I bought my 80. It had a broken plastic cog strip. Before I found mud I was wrestling with the motor and was wondering if I could just cut it off and wire it to a cb antenna. An 4.0 engineering student who was helping me said it couldn't be done. I trusted him since my college physics knowledge had been flushed for a good two years. :doh:

Had I known this I wouldn't have replaced the stock mast. The next time it gives me the fritz I'm splicing it to a cb antenna.

Was it difficult to splice down in the fender area or did you go directly from behind the head unit?

The 'splice' isn't really a splice per se.

You buy the unit (a box with two cables hanging out of it. ) Your CB antenna cable goes to the input terminal, then there are two cables are specifically terminaled to mate with the CB head unit and your stereo head unit. I had to get an extension cable to mate the stereo plug, as I have my CB bolted to the rear of the center console, and the 'splice box' sits under the console, and the radio plug is only 18" long.

As I remember, it wasn't even that expensive.

*edit* found it!

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ar1a-cb-antenna-to-amfm-splitter-p-221.html

Last edited:
The 'splice' isn't really a splice per se.

You buy the unit (a box with two cables hanging out of it. ) Your CB antenna cable goes to the input terminal, then there are two cables are specifically terminaled to mate with the CB head unit and your stereo head unit. I had to get an extension cable to mate the stereo plug, as I have my CB bolted to the rear of the center console, and the 'splice box' sits under the console, and the radio plug is only 18" long.

As I remember, it wasn't even that expensive.

*edit* found it!

Firestik AR1A - CB Antenna to AM/FM Splitter - CB Radio Superstore WalcottCB.com

Thanks, that sure is handy. Cheaper than a new antenna mast or a motor if that ever dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom