Serial Number on front diff??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if there is a serial or part number stamped on the front diff for these? If so, is there a numerical difference between 98/99 and 2000+ that can be determined from that number?

I ask because I'm going to do a final prepurchase inspection on a 2000 that had a used diff installed. (Bad diff servicer screwed up the plug and the diff fluid drained out on the road.) The mechanic that replaced the diff was not sure what model year the used unit came out of. It would be very comforting to know if it is a 2000+ diff in there.

Thanks

There is a part number difference I beleive. But as for inspecting it from the outside there probably won't be anything to identify it as a later model diff, or early model diff. I have a 1999 and the front diff went bad on the previous owner. I tracked down the toyota records and they replaced it with a new front diff of the later model. I can find that part number probably, but not sure how you can check it. I can try crawling under mine and looking at the diff and see if there is identifying features to it that might help you.

I am sort of in the same boat. I recently bought a 99 and saw that the diff was replaced by another unit at some point, but I don't know which one. I was searching all over to find out if there was a way to read the serial number on it to identify 2 or 4 pin diff, but I have found no info on this. Any help would be great (not that it matters now, but I would just like to know).

I noticed all the skid plate stuff was going to make any quick part number inspection impossible.

I pulled the trigger anyway, and bought the LX despite the uncertainty. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me. Regardless, at some point I want to take all that stuff off and solve this mystery, just for peace of mind. It just got new fluid, but I might just drain it and open it up to count the pinions myself.

Monte, it would be nice if your 99 got a 4-pinion carrier upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom