Sequoia vs. 100 series LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey whats up guys,I have been a member here for a while,I have had my 78 FJ40 for 5 years,longtime Toyota fan.I am going to need a upgrade in size from my 95 4Runner for my growing family.I am thinking of a 2004 Land Cruiser or a 2006 (new)Sequoia.Please give me any input that could help me decide which one to buy(I am for sure going to get either one of these toys)I allready have my work truck for towing,etc.,so that is not an issue.The rig will be for my wife and kids and our family trips(camping,etc.)

Thanks,JC

This is obvious, but you are asking the question on a Land Cruiser forum. What do you think the answer is going to be?

Greg E said:
This is obvious, but you are asking the question on a Land Cruiser forum. What do you think the answer is going to be?

There probably is no Sequoia forum.

I just bought a 02 LC cause the Sequoia is to big for me.

Just drive both.

I know somone who owned two Land Cruisers, and then went to the Sequoia. He now wants out to go back.

If you've never driven an LC, the Sequoia will seem perfectly suitable for everyday needs. The LC gives you that, in addition to knowing you have one of the most capable vehicles on the planet that doesn't feel like you're roughing it.

WES1977 said:
There probably is no Sequoia forum.

I just bought a 02 LC cause the Sequoia is to big for me.

Not meening to be dense-what makes the LC better?is it smaller inside than the Sequoia?Anybody own one-or is everybody biased towards the LC without a real opinion or what?This is really important to me,I like all the facts I can get before I spend $40,000

Drive them both. It will be obvious. trust me...

I have more experience with 100's, but I have done this "comparison" before and found the 100 to be the vehicle for me. I drove my sister in laws Seq several times, even took it off road. I have driven both so I may have some insight into this matter.

You were comparing an '06 Seq with an'04 uzj100. Let's examine a few points.

1.) Price for both, based on years mentioned, should be close. If it is within 10K, the 100 wins.

2.) The 100 has a dramaticaly better build quality than the Seq. The 100 is made in Japan by Araco and the Seq is made here. It isn't that the Seq is a POS, but compared to a 100, I would rate it at 50% of the 100's quality. My 100 still doesn't squeak. The new Seq I drove did.

3.) The 100 is MUCH better off road.

4.) My 100 gets better gas milage than my in-laws Seq. Only about a gallon or so, but it is still better, even with full time 4WD.

5.) The 100 has a higher reliability rating. In fact, cosumer reports gave the 100 the highest reliability rating of all large SUV's in 2005.

6.) Tow capacity is about the same. I like towing with my 100. My in-law tows a 22' boat with his Seq and it does a good job, but his braking feels inadequate over 4000 lbs. The 100 still feels good at that same weight.

7.) The tranny, transfer case and axles of the 100 are much larger than the Seq. In other words, the 100 is very overbuilt, the Seq isn't.

Overall, I like the 100. That is why I bought it over a Seq. I was looking at an '06 Seq and an '04 100. The 100 was 3k less in price. I am very happy I bought a 100.

The Seq does have more interior space, but that was the only advantage to owning a Seq in my humble opinion.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The 100 is a little better built. The vehicles built in Japan tend to have a better build quality. i.e. my 94 LC (japan) and 95 T100 (Fremont CA) They are both super reliable, but the 100 series is a bit better off road due to its dimesions, a bit more manueverable for the same reason, and has nicer features without paying for the limited package on the sequoia. That being said, for your described intended usage, a sequoia will be much better rig. A 2006 Sequoia will have the VVTI engine with 273 horses instead of 240, and IMHO it is more comfy. It is built on a truck chassis, but when ride quality and road manners are an issue, it holds its own with the Pilots, expeditions, 4runners etc..
FWIW,
Dan

When the Sequoia was introduced, I thought it was my next vehicle. I drove several and was really impressed. I did not even consider the Land Cruiser at first because it was smaller and more expensive.

When I started looking for the next vehicle, I decided to test drive a Land Cruiser just for comparison. The rest is history, the Sequoia has not been a viable alternative since. If you have short members in the family, the LC seat size is much better. The Seq seat bottoms are so long that a short person cannot fit comfortably. The difference between the two vehicles is obvious. The Seq is a Toyota version of the Expedition/Tahoe based on the Tundra. The LC is in its own class, better in just about every category except size and initial price. The LC feels better, rides better, looks better, lasts better...

LXPearl said:
When the Sequoia was introduced, I thought it was my next vehicle. I drove several and was really impressed. I did not even consider the Land Cruiser at first because it was smaller and more expensive.

When I started looking for the next vehicle, I decided to test drive a Land Cruiser just for comparison. The rest is history, the Sequoia has not been a viable alternative since. If you have short members in the family, the LC seat size is much better. The Seq seat bottoms are so long that a short person cannot fit comfortably. The difference between the two vehicles is obvious. The Seq is a Toyota version of the Expedition/Tahoe based on the Tundra. The LC is in its own class, better in just about every category except size and initial price. The LC feels better, rides better, looks better, lasts better...
Thank you so much for all the responses,especially this last one.I am 5-6 and so is my wife.Done deal-I am getting the LC.

bcripe said:
Drive them both. It will be obvious. trust me...

This is what a friend of mine did (he bought the LC..decision was obvious [note that money was not a factor for this guy]).

I didn't even bother to test drive a Sequoia, as I knew from extensive research that the construction quality, materials, and engineering of the LC are superior, hands down. The LC will be slower off the line (more weight, less power in the engine), if that matters to you. Had you been asking us to compare the Sequoia to any domestic full-sized SUV, I'd go w/ the Sequoia, of course (for the same reasons above).

When we were looking for my wife's car (which ended up being the GX), we drove the GX, Seq and LC (all new). My wife is not a car person, and even she could CLEARLY tell the difference between the Seq and LC - the build quality and finish are just far superior.

Now having said that, if she hadn't driven the LC, the Sequoia probably would have been just fine. Moral of the story: if you think you want the Sequoia, DO NOT drive the LC - you'll have a hard time buying it (Sequoia) after comparing the two.

The leather in a LC is also much better than in a Seq. Lasts longer, is thicker, looks better, etc. Maybe that's not the case everywhere, but here in TX where GST puts in the leather, it's very noticable.

Driving the LC after the Sequoia? - Don't do it because it will cost you!! You'll fall in love (hopefully you already have) all over again.

one of each

Do what we did. Bought '98 100 to replace 78 fj40. Year later wife buys '02 sequoia. I get to build/wheel the 100 and haul around kids. Wife is happy because she gets to keep the running boards on and drive the kids around. I actually like her Sequoia better than my 100. 'course hers is 4 years newer. Motor is more powerful in Sequoia. Trac control is arguably better than rear locker, but in 2000+ LC has trac. If you plan on wheeling it go LC, if it is grocery getter and never leaves pavement go Seq.

Already been said, but if fit, finish and build quality are important to you, then there is simply no comparison, period. 100 > Seq.

That is an absolute, irrefutable statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom