Sequoia v. 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the other day I happened to be by a local dealer and they had a 2001 sequoia limited and a 1999 100 series on the lot, so I decided to look both of them over. I poked, prodded and sat in them (front and rear), supprisingly undisturbed by a sales person. My impressions:

1) The sequoia is larger than the cruiser, but not that much.

2) The visibility, front and rear is much better in the 100 series than the Sequoia. The Sequoia almost feels claustraphopic (also feel like a wagon).

3) Step in is lower on the Sequoia and the 100 is lower than the 80.

4) Just from sitting in them, the 80 feels closer to the 100 than the Sequoia.

Now for the interesting part. I have a friend that when the Sequoia came out drove one and ended up buying an Acura MDX instead. I asked him about the Sequoia and he said it felt chinzy. I thought he was nuts. Well sitting in the Sequoia, my impression was, it was Chinzy, it just feels like I am sitting in a Ford or Chevy. Compare that to the 80/100 which has that carved out of one piece of billet feel that a Mercedes or my Wife's BMW has. I have to say after just sitting in them, given the feel and the visability, it is a no brainer, that the replacement for the 80 when the time comes will be the 100 and not a Sequoia. By the same token, I do not believe that the Sequoia can be rebaged as a Lexus and hold up the Lexus image. I would expect that any replacement for the LX 470 will be a substancially revised Sequoia or maybe a Cruiser 120?

Cary

I can concur with this after sitting in/driving a Redwood myself.

Greetings Cary -

>> I would expect that any replacement for the LX 470 will be a substancially revised Sequoia or maybe a Cruiser 120?

I am reasonably certain that this call has already been made - judging from all of the usual resources, and past posts here. The announced 2006 VX-470 will be a rebadged Sequoia. Now, just how "modified" it will be is another matter altogether...

Cheers, R -

I get that feeling in many of the new Toyotas. I think the Tundra interior and buttons and switches feel like garbage. A plain vehicle is fine by me, but it needs to be durable. That doesn't mean burlap sacks for interior, but the new interior material seems really thin and not very strong. Not only did Toyota blow it again on the size issue, but I think their quality is starting to suffer too. The other issue is the 100 series seem to be dropping in price big time whereas the Sequoias seem to be staying high. I've seen used Sequoias priced higher than what they stickered at when new.

I have noticed the same thing the Sequaia just don't feel as "quailty" as a Cruiser. My buddy sold me his 88 fj62, got a Tundra, 1st thing he said it, the bits and pieces are cheapish compared to his old 88. I guess Araco does have higher quality bits than a normal Toyota.

The Sequoia seems a bit wagon like to me too. I saw one with a lift and larger tires, looked like a totally different vehicle, much better. I had a new 4-Runner as a rental car from Hertz last week. Was surprised to see that it had a center diff lock button. It was only a 6 cyl but felt very strong. Sad part, when I picked it up at the airport the center diff lock was engaged!!! I guess whoever had it before me had been driving around the city with the CDL on.

I've been buying three year old off-lease cruisers as the family trucksters for awhile. Last year I gave my wife the choice of a 2003 Sequin or a 2000 100, they were both the same price. The girls chose the "basic" 100 over the Sequin with all the options. They said the tree was bloated, felt cheap, and despite its size, not at all solid.

I won't even talk about my buying a Chevy 1500 instead of a Tundra. Let's see, I could have a tinny lightweight half ton for $32k or a tinny lightweight half ton for $22k. After years of wanting a full size from Toyota, I just couldn't justify it. :'(

Does anyone have any additional thoughts on this comparison? I'm considering semiretiring my 80 series (wifeypoo's daily driver) and replacing it with something else. Considered the g500, but no. The short list, once again, comes down to choosing between toyotas.

The options would be between new sequoia or couple year old 100.

We recently replaced my wife's suburban with a 100 series landcruiser. When we were shopping for it, I had my wife try out the Sequoia (if she liked it, maybe I would have gone with it to save some $$). Her response: "it feels like a Tahoe." I think that says it all.

Everyone,

Dont forget about the knocking, piston slapping Tundra/Sequoia engines. We have yet to determine if the 100 engine is affected. See my other thread above.

Buy the 100, hands and engines down.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
I won't even talk about my buying a Chevy 1500 instead of a Tundra. Let's see, I could have a tinny lightweight half ton for $32k or a tinny lightweight half ton for $22k. After years of wanting a full size from Toyota, I just couldn't justify it. :'(

I looked at the Toyota double cab V8 limited 4x4 and I could buy a Dodge 3500 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo diesel for the same $$$, I'm not talkin list MSRP but out the door after discounts.

I currently own a Sequoia and am looking at upgrading to the LC. Several reasons, many of which you touch on, but primarily build quality, visual clearance and a bullet tough reputation are the primary factors. Don' t get me wrong, the Sequoia's been a reliable vehicle to date (90K miles) with only minor problems, but its still a concept type vehicle (basically a Tundra with a camper) with trucklike interior, mismatched transmission, terrible visibility and sluggish handling. Like the Avalon is a Japanees buick, the Sequoia is a Japenese Expedition. To the contrary, I could see myself driving the 100 for many years to come, just a totally different feel all toghether. My only issue is whether to take the plunge now or wait until the 120 or 130 series is introduced - just afraid the new design will become more Sequoiaesque.

Last edited:
go the 100, i think in the US market they'll just keep getting softer and softer

Someone with both

I have a FJ80 and SR5 Sequoia. I like both trucks very much. Some of what has been posted I agree with, some I do not.

Many people want a new car or truck and can't afford $55,000. Therefore they may go with a SR5 Sequoia for about $15-20,000 less. Does it come with leather and fancy wood veneer at this price? No, but not everyone wants that.

If you are not a true off-roader, the biggest difference between these two vehicles is interior space. The Sequoia has a full thrid row seating for people over 5 feet tall, whereas LCs thrid row is good for kids or short people only. I family of 5 or more with growing kids will outgrow a LC pretty quick. We went into NYC yesterday with 6 adults--the Sequoia was the the definite choice over the LC.

In regards to quality I hear all the time about the Sequoia being from Indiana and the LC from Japan. Both are excellent vehicle and both well made.

From reading this board and others, it does appear that LC owners have more "passion" for their truck than Sequoia owners. I think thats because the Sequoia owners are spending more time chaffeuring their family and friends around than putting notes on this board.

Both are excellent trucks. It really comes down to what you are using it for, how much money you have to spend and if you want new or used.

Layneo:

You are correct about both being of excellent quality. And when someone who has a LC states that the Seq. is chintzy or anything else, it is within the idea of comparing the Toyota products not in effort to degrade the Seq. or the men and women mfg. it in IN. However, unless you have driven both (not an 80 but a 100) for a good amount of time, you really cannot understand the differences. The 100 to a Seq. is like a Mercedes E500 to a C240. Both are of excellent brand and make but it is obvious by fit and feel that the vehicles are very different i.e. that the e500 is more substantial in process and design. Likely said for the LC. Just shutting the doors on both the cars speak to this.

Again, both are of excellent quality but the LC is of more excellent quality and not because it costs more i.e. I am talking process, design and materials.

I love my frell'n Sequoia. It's a 2004 Limited 4x4 and it is awesome. Normally driven by my wife to cart around two kids, groceries and a double stroller, the Sequoia has WAY more room than our Landcruiser had. I do, however, miss the fold down mini-gate (makes a great changing table). We took it to my inlaws ranch and in 4 wheel drive with the electronic diff lock on, it managed the rain torn ranch donkey roads with ease while the kids watched their DVD in the third row sets and my in laws marveled at the almighty Toyota (their Tahoe Z71 need new tires) Sequoia.

My FJ40 can still roll over the Sequoia, but for trips to the mountains, beaches and ranches--the Sequoia ROCKS!

Don't get me wrong, I loved the LandCruiser, but if you have more than 4 people, it's just not as good.

I agree with layneo, Jukelemon and TexomaFJ40; my ex-wife use to own a 2001 Sequoia and it was built for it's intended purpose.

Carl

MDX is nice, but it uses fake plasti-wood, like the old LX450!

At least on new Lexii you get the real thing... Afterall, having real wood in your luxury SUV just makes it better, like having a "Type S" sticker on the back of your Acura...

No wood jokes, please.

You ever driven an MDX? On-road the thing handles like a dream. It's a sports SUV that kills a Seq or 100....if that's what you want.

As far as the Seq? It's the best choice over a 100 for 95% of the public. It's larger, it rides nice, it's Toyota reliable, it has more power, and it costs $15K less. Makes the most sense for most buyers. For me, a true off-roader, and someone who was lucky enough to afford a new 100......the 100 is the only choice. The Seq is a reliable Expedition with a Toyota emblem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom