Sequoia Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering purchasing a Sequoia 4WD. I have been doing my research and it seems that the early 2001 to 2003 models get in the 12 to 15 MPG range and the 2003 on seem to get more in the 14 to 17 MPG range. Is there anyone out there that can verify their personal experience with the mileage / year differences? There are definitely some good deals on those earlier models but would be willing to pay a little more for the better mileage.

Thanks,

CR

Well, the 03+ got a 5sp transmission (vs 4sp in older models). That could account for the lower mileage.

No direct experience with Sequoia's, but they come with the same engines as Land Cruisers. My 2000 LC gets about 17 freeway and 13-14 around town. 03+ LC's seem to report about the same mileage.

I'd expect the Sequoia to get a little better than that, as the LC is full time 4WD. But I guess the Sequoia is a bit bigger, too.

If you can keep your speed around 65 on the highway, you can get close to 20.
We averaged 14 or so in town in our 01 4wd.

Daisy

Well, the 03+ got a 5sp transmission (vs 4sp in older models). That could account for the lower mileage.

The 5-speed and VVT-i 4.7 started in 05. 01-04 were the standard iForce and 4-speed autos, IIRC...

My 06 Limited was okay. Way under powered for the weight, but comfortable. I never managed over 17mpg.. not a single time.

My 06 Tundra, which is what replaced it, doesn't do any better on fuel, but it definitely doesn't feel as heavy. I do miss the air-ride rear suspension, though. :)

Interesting. Both V8 4Runners and LC's got the 5-sp in 03. I guess I just assumed Sequoia's got the same.

It sounds like the 05 is the break point to get the 5 speed vs 4 which seems to get the slightly better mileage. I have found a lot of nice 04's but seems like I need to find a 05 to take advantage of the slightly better mileage. Thanks for the solid feedback.

Interesting. Both V8 4Runners and LC's got the 5-sp in 03. I guess I just assumed Sequoia's got the same.

I suppose it possible, but having owned an 03 Tundra and 04 Tundra limits, I can tell you for 100% fact that the 5-speed didn't arrive until the VVt-i engine in 05. That's also when the Tacoma got the 5-speed auto.

Are you 100% positive about the 4Runner? it's been a while since I've driven a newer gen... I know they had 4-speeds through at least 02 - thought they still had 4speeds in the 03's/04's... easy enough to validate, I suppose.

You're right about the Sequoia's and Tundra's. But the V8 4Runners all had 5-sp transmissions. The V6's had 4-sp until it was upgraded to a 5-sp in 05.

I have an '03 I get close to 20mpg all highway and I keep my foot out of it. Around town I get 14/15ish. Mine is up for sale if you are interested.

Thanks for all the good feedback. Regarding Sequoia's and 4WD: I see that the 2005 and later series go from the manual stick 4WD shifter to the push button. Does anyone have experience with the dependability of the push button on these later models? Also, like a cruiser were there any years they truly made an All Time 4WD Sequoia that could not be just 2 WD for street driving if desired?

My 06 Limited was okay. Way under powered for the weight, but comfortable. I never managed over 17mpg.. not a single time.

My 06 Tundra, which is what replaced it, doesn't do any better on fuel, but it definitely doesn't feel as heavy. I do miss the air-ride rear suspension, though. :)[/QUOTE]

My 05 dbl cab 4x4 tundra was almost under powered..would sure go if you kicked it down and got the revs up though.. I never got great mileage with it even rolling the throttle on, letting it slow down up the hills and keeping the speed under 65... certainly not what the window sticker advertised. Fairly disappointing as I replaced my old 5.7 litre 92 ext cab 4x4 GMC with 260,000 miles on it which in the end didn't use any more fuel than the new 4.7 litre Tundra.
Is an 04 Sequoia going to be worse for mileage than an 05 or 06 model then? Might just be a case of too heavy a vehicle with too little engine torque at a highway cruising speed. What engine rpm's does an 04 and say an 05 run at 60 mph?

The wife has an 02 4WD Limited gets 14.5 - 15 in town and depending on how the cruise is set 17 - 19 on the HWY. Has 190K on the clock and its been a great family rig. When she retires it I'll turn it into a family wheeler like Pilot's rig :D

we have an 04 4wd Limited and on road trips have gotten as high as 19mpg, typically driving around town is 15-16 with the wife driving it. 01-03 had reports of tranny problems if people towed with them, so we stayed away for that reason. We looked at the new style 4runner, but the 3rd row seating is not very usable. We regulary have 8 in the Sequoia without any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom