Sequoia 2uz-fe swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Before getting into it, just a quick story on why I chose this setup. I had a perfectly reliable Chevy drivetrain in there (SBC 350/th400/adapter/Np205) with only 2500 miles, but I wasn’t happy. I had even listed my 40 in the classifieds section here on MUD, but I didn’t get any love. I wanted an EFI drivetrain… And what better way than to keep it all Toyota!

Of course most of my buddies suggested an LS swap since it was cheaper and the fact that you can tune GM ECU’s. I found that the cost for an engine, tranny, ecu, engine harness was the same for both Toyota and GM swap. As for the “tuning”, I figured why the hell do I need to tune and get 350HP on a 40? I want a reliable trail rig and highway friendly rig. The 2uz is more than enough for that.

I am by no means a fabricator. I had my guy set it in there with motor mounts and rear crossmember. My fab work is done by Octavio here near Los Angeles. He has been doing my fab work the past several years. He does great work and is easy to work with. You guys can see some of his work here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/274618-new-guy-here.html

Engine:
2002 Sequoia 2UZ-FE 4.7 with 95,XXX miles (non vvt-i). It’s been said that the wiring is much easier on a non VVT-I model.

Tranny:
A340F from same Sequoia – Toyota named the Sequoia 4x4 tranny as A341F because of the locking/unlocking t-case. Once you separate the t-case, it’s a regular A340F.
Note: the A340F not the A340E (4x2) trans will shorten your drivetrain by a good several inches!

Adapter:
Inchworm Gear’s has what they call the Tacoma adapter. It is also used to adapt the A340F Tundra/Sequoia tranny to passenger side drop T-case. This adapter is only HALF an inch thick!! Marlin sells the same one (made by Inchworm), but they actually advertise it for a 4.7 V8 adapter.

The A340E (4x2), will need a different longer adapter, adding several more inches to your drivetrain. I highly suggest using a 4x4 donor!

Transfer Case:
Toyota top shift gear driven t-case out of a ’82 w/ a Trail Gear 23-spline input shaft.

The new Toyota drivetrain is about 4 inches shorter than my old SBC 350/th400/adapter/Np205 drivetrain! I actually have a decent length rear driveshaft now

Rear End:
Ford 9 inch - 4.11. I already had a centered rear end with my Chevy NP205.
photo(21).jpg
photo(22).jpg
imagejpeg_3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good... how much more work before it's running? Looks like wiring, coolant, and exhaust still...

How long is your rear driveshaft? Did you use a DC for it?
Did you get the key/key transponder/key transponder ecu from the sequoia?
What ECU are you using?
What gauges?
Is it drive by wire?
Did you get any emissions equipment from the donor car?
What fan will you run?
I see the AC compressor is still on... are you running an AC?
What oil pan? If you are using the stock sequoia oil pan, are you cutting it for clearance?

I only ask you these questions because I have spent countless hours researching and thinking about the same things....

Looks good... how much more work before it's running? Looks like wiring, coolant, and exhaust still...

How long is your rear driveshaft? Did you use a DC for it?
Did you get the key/key transponder/key transponder ecu from the sequoia?
What ECU are you using?
What gauges?
Is it drive by wire?
Did you get any emissions equipment from the donor car?
What fan will you run?
I see the AC compressor is still on... are you running an AC?
What oil pan? If you are using the stock sequoia oil pan, are you cutting it for clearance?

I only ask you these questions because I have spent countless hours researching and thinking about the same things....

Jetranger, yea there's still a lot left. I don't know the length of the rear driveshaft yet, but I'm using a DC driveshaft off an '86 4runner and adapting it.

I've been researching the ECU issue for a while but I haven't been able to find a clear answer. Here's my issue: Sequoia has the immobilizer and since I don't have the key, I can not use the Sequoia ECU. My plan is to use the Tundra ECU from the same year truck. Both ECU plugs and pins are the same. I've gotten mixed opinions on whether it will work or not, but spoke to a Toyota Tech and he was confident it should be fine.

This 2uzfe is a cable throttle so thankfully won't be dealing with the drive by wire wiring.

My 40 is a 74 so I'm eliminating all emissions. I'm still debating on the AC and fan but I'm leaning towards the clutch fan preferably. As for the oil pan, I pulled the rear sump oil pan off a 2003-04 V8 4runner.

Do you have a picture of the clearance between your front diff and the oil pan?

The key is not matched to the ecu, it is matched to the key transponder, which is matched to the key transponder ecu, which is wired in to the vehicle ecu.

I am, more or less, dreaming of doing the exact same thing. The key difference to what I want to do, though, is turn my '40 into a FakeJ-45 (stretch it, build sort of an extended cab, put a flatbed on it, much like Mudraks FJ45).

I'm eyeing a 2001 Tundra that my buddy owns (and really wants to get a Ford/Chevy/Dodge as he uses it as a tow rig) which I might be able to get inexpensively.

Since the A340 is VERY similar as the Jeep AW4 and with a tailhousing from the AW4 you can mount up the D300 and clones. Much stronger t-case than the Toy mini stuff.

Rear axle would be a ford 9" with a fabricated housing. Debating full float or unit bearing setup.

If you're going to keep the AC (which I would want to do in my project) I'd like to see how it gets grafted in.

How long is your rear driveshaft?

Great project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom