September ROTM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure on camping questions but...

No it's not this trail, we cross Cherry Creek but it's not the trail, it's Punkin Center to Young

Not sure on camping questions but...

No it's not this trail, we cross Cherry Creek but it's not the trail, it's Punkin Center to Young

Sorry Coffee hadn't kicked in. Brain fart on where Punkin Center is...... Not familiar with the trail but I am willing to give it a try. I am leaning towards just meeting up for breakfast on Saturday morning and camping Saturday night but will be prepared either way. It only takes me 15 minutes to get the trailer ready to roll. I have HAM, CB, and a handheld you can borrow if need be. I will be heading up from the Tempe/Chandler area.

- Chris

Late to the party.
1. Where are you camping on Friday? I'm off today just need to get organized and decide if I want to camp 2 nights or one.

Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris,

There are a dozen forest roads between Punkin Center and the lake. I just pick one and drive to a level spot.

If you want to camp Friday night we can find a flat spot big enough for your trailer.

Dispersed camping - no amenities :)

Let me know and we can arrange a meeting spot Friday night. I don't know when I'll be getting off work but I'm sure it will be dark by the time I get to the vicinity.

Hi Chris,

There are a dozen forest roads between Punkin Center and the lake. I just pick one and drive to a level spot.

If you want to camp Friday night we can find a flat spot big enough for your trailer.

Dispersed camping - no amenities :)

Let me know and we can arrange a meeting spot Friday night. I don't know when I'll be getting off work but I'm sure it will be dark by the time I get to the vicinity.

Ok at the moment I am leaning towards just leaving early in the morning. No issue with dispersed camping. Just feeling lazy. I'll check back later today. Off to the store for supplies.....

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
I know too many questions!

For those that are camping Saturday night are you planning on cooking or eating dinner in Young? I just need to know what I should put into my fridge besides beer.

With my trailer I have plenty of cooking capacity and can contribute to a unhealthy hearty breakfast on Sunday. I have a two burner stove, a single burner backup and a good sized grill.

the OP's first post mentiones something about the best prime rib in the state in Young...? Chaos55 what are your thoughts about a meat coma of savory beef?

Is this the trail? Did some searching and found a GPX file from Punkin Center all the way to Show Low. This is the piece to Young which I extracted using ADZE on my Mac.

This track includes a piece of the Cherry Creek trail that I have never done and that portion matches a piece of the AZ Border to Border route. I have that track listed below as well.

GaiaGPS - 9/19/15 Punkin Center to Young

GaiaGPS - AZ5 Globe to Young (Globe to Young Cherry Creek Trail)

Last edited:
looking forward to the trail. Its been a while and remember it being very scenic!

Thanks everyone.. good times. I would have liked to see Haigler Creek but can put it on a wish list for next time. Nice trail run and will plan on taking some AZFJ folks out there some time.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I really enjoyed the trip and the company. Camping last night was a perfect ending.

Sorry I missed this trip but I have my DC shafts now and I'm all ready for October!!

Camping is a great way to extend the trip experience, that's for sure. Big Thank You to our ROTM organizer for this month, along with the comradarie on the trail. Here are some of my better pictures from the phone:

Hitting dirt:
34g36lx.jpg

The Three Amigo's (*in their white '80's):
2mzljb7.jpg

My humble abode (compared to some with their tent/trailer):
24edu6g.jpg

Heading out this morning:
211qx4.jpg

Really enjoyed this run, as it was just right for dogs - enough stops to give them a break, and not so difficult as to make it too bumpy for their (and my) comfort. Great ROTM, and I look forward to next month's ROTM "7-Springs Overnight +Meeting",

Great trip and good folks to spend the day wheeling with. :clap::steer:

A great ROTM, thanks Kirk for setting this up! Great weather, people, and scenery.

I think we ended up with 10(?) vehicles. Alvis brought is Sister in her 100 and her maiden voyage off road - she was reluctant at first about airing down, but is a believer now ☺!

Some pics:
Winding through the trail - the many white 80's were easy to see from a distance...

Stopped at a cave that Stepmurr located on his GPS. This cave was very big, long and dropped down into a deep hole at the end. We explored it all! There was evidence of ancient native walls inside. I can imagine it was a perfect place to escape the summer heat or to store food stuffs due to the coolness of the cave.

v5.jpg
v4.jpg
v8.jpg
v7.jpg
v6.jpg

Some scenery near Young where we ended up for dinner of the "best prime rib in AZ". A copule people left for home but most of the group headed up into the pines for a top-shelf camping spot and evening. 1Louder had a very impressive expo trailer he designed and made himself - very luxurious!

We were all full from dinner and after setting up, gathered the chairs around the campfire and had some rousing conversation convering a couple very important topics...<wink> Someone had a fire starter and someone else had some pyrotechnic "buzzing" things. The fire fairie got the wood going asap and sported a new heavy duty welding glove for his wood manipulation. Overall, one of the nicer camp spots Ive been in ...

Good times!

v2.jpg
v3.jpg
v.jpg

Any pictures of the expo trailer?

CSC cant be denied! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom