September ROTM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the late post on this here's what's up for September.

It's most definitely going to be the weekend of the 19th.

I'm between ideas on where to head but here are the two that are bouncing around in my brain.

1) Do the Mogollon Rim, from West to East with an Overnight on Promontory Butte
Stayed here a few weeks ago the view was terrible!! ;) 34.3433081,-111.0381885

2) Day trip to Young AZ, I'm told they have the best prime rib in the state, curious to see if that's valid or not.

Neither of these rides are going to require any truck to fully stretch their legs but both are geared towards a family friendly adventure with some beautiful scenery.

Feel free to chime in on suggestions.

Cheers,

Kirk

There is a back way to Young from Punkin Center, not really challenging but has some nice scenery

I'm in!

If I make this it would be on the rim run. Where are you thinking start and end points? Probably too early for fall colors on the rim. Oct. is better time. Next I hope to keep a close eye on the changes colors.

I'll double check calendars, but you "might" run into a handful of Boy Scouts on Promontory Butte in the 19th for their annual signaling event. They usually camp there Friday night and do the event Saturday morning. They use signal mirrors to transmit messages from the Mexican border north to the Canadian border. In that area they go from Mt. Ord to Matazal peak to Diamond Point to Promontory Butte to ??. Anyway, if you're planning on a Saturday night camp, probably no big deal. Fun place to camp right on the edge...

Any update on this rotm?
I am Interested in getting out for the weekend!

I'm probably in, need some cool air and dirt filling my nostrils.

Still trying to keep this weekend open. Need a update and to when and which location before my wife gets her honey-do list set in stone.

Well I'm back from a much needed escape from the internet...I spent the last few days in Telluride CO and surrounding area, it was a great trip, great weather and awesome friends to hang out with.

With all the above notes considered, I believe the best option is to do a full day run out to Young AZ. I'll follow up this evening with details of meeting spots and coordinates and the general plan.

@Living in the Past...you can count on leaving early AM and being gone for the whole day...I told my wife I won't exist for the 19th so don't plan on me doing anything

Well I'm back from a much needed escape from the internet...I spent the last few days in Telluride CO and surrounding area, it was a great trip, great weather and awesome friends to hang out with.

With all the above notes considered, I believe the best option is to do a full day run out to Young AZ. I'll follow up this evening with details of meeting spots and coordinates and the general plan.

Okay this is what I needed to know. Only cruisers I have registered are in the rim country further west. Have a couple of 4Runners here but in the west valley. Too long a day for me. Like I mentioned just wanted to know which run. Camping on the rim was tempting. But if it included a ton of Boy Scouts not so much. Day trip to Young and back just too far. Have fun.:cheers:

Young, AZ weather this upcoming weekend: High of 81* / low of 50* ☺

Sounds good, I will most likely stay up there and camp overnight if anyone else is considering the same.

Sounds great Murf, I'm undecided on the camping as of yet...

The suggestion on Punpkin Center is likely what we're going to do for the information of passengers, like I mentioned I'll post up some coordinates, breakfast meetup location, then run meetup location and time.

Here's the plan...

Meet at Punkin Center Grill (33.872956, -111.314536 next to the Motel) I called the manager and she's ok with us meeting up here.
They open at 8am for anyone wanting to come do breakfast with me.

For all others plan to be in the parking lot for 9, with an aim to roll out around 9:20ish. I don't have a handheld Ham or CB but I'll monitor 146.460 and channel 22 after breakfast.

I acquired the coordinates for the trail, I have zero experience with this trail so I have no idea what it's like, but from the reviews I've read online it's stock friendly (Forest service recommends 4x4), with only two steep parts, looked at some pics and they're not terrible at all. I'll be sure to spot anyone that needs help.

If anyone wants a copy of the trail coordinates prior to Saturday for their GPS (kmz or gpx format), PM meet I'll be glad to share. The trail runs from Punkin Center East to 288, follows 288 towards Young for a few miles then off into the bush in an NE direction, seems to cross two creeks (I checked the USGS water data for Cherry Creek, although there has been some rain, the creek is running below the average about 2 ft deep) near Cherry Creek Lodge then ends up in Young. Allegedly there's a neat cave along the route so we can definitely stop to check that out.

For those wanting to camp overnight, Haigler Creek Campground looks decent, there's no reservations needed and there is vault toilets, 34° 13' 9.24"N 110° 57' 42.18"W. I haven't looked into anything else there might be more.

If there's any questions post up or PM me!

Last edited:
I'm in too for camping. Just need to sort out what to bring, didn't someone mention the best prime rib in the state. For the Scottsdale group, we can meet up and ride to Punkin Center together if interested pm group.

Sounds fun.

In for camping Saturday. Can't get free'd up for Friday too.

Late to the party.
1. Where are you camping on Friday? I'm off today just need to get organized and decide if I want to camp 2 nights or one.

2. What trail are you referring to? Cherry Creek? Here's a GPX file for that. GaiaGPS - Cherry Creek 2-22-14

3. I am looking for an excuse to get out of town. I would want to bring my trailer. (Off road trailer) So I just need to confirm that any camping area is trailer friendly as in at least one small spot for me to cram into. I see that Haigler can take trailers.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom