September ROTM - Saturday, September 29 - Back Way to Crown King (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Abigail gave the freq a few posts back.

So... I spoke to someone today that has a lot of experience on this trail. He said not to plan on being home until after 6pm on Saturday. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

totally depends on number of vehicles, ability of the vehicles, and if anything goes wrong.
last time I ran it was with scout guys with an affinity for too much skinny pedal. we didn't get home until 10pm.

2 flats and one truck had to get pulled part of the way out after smashing and twisting a drive shaft. drove home in front wheel drive.

wheeling on a time schedule takes some of the fun out of it. too worried about making it back in time to relax and explore the side trails, mines, and abandoned equipment in the area.

5 solid hrs to get there, lunch, then shorter way to 17, 17 to PHX.....probably pretty close to 5 pm at very bare minimum.

So... I spoke to someone today that has a lot of experience on this trail. He said not to plan on being home until after 6pm on Saturday. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

Normally the trail takes 4-5 hours but with this number of trucks I don't expect it to go as fast as I had planned. Let's hope for no unforseen circumstances...

I agree probably best case scenario 5pm if we don't rush things.

experience from my various runs on that trail in the past: the bigger the group, the longer it will take - I agree with your friend's assessment

and, I am seriously considering joining the run :eek:

I have a nice Firestick-CB radio set-up

Last edited:
I have one of the ham radios and will have it. Thanks for the frequency. I won’t meetup with everyone that morning but may see you on the trail. If I do show up it will be on a whim.
Question... what psi do you air down to?

Everyone have a great run!

I typically go down to between 18 to 15 psi on an 80 series, same on the 40 these days (it has the same wheels/tires) - I have gone down as low as 12 in the rocks of Moab on the 40

Alright... I'm out. I can't chance it.

And my new ham radio comes today. :doh:

Don’t you need a license for HAM radio operation?

Or is it just to broadcast? I guess what will happen in an emergency broadcast? G men show up? Ha ha

Yes license to broadcast. Oh no, Men in Black!

So you could listen in without license, but no broadcast. Ok makes sense

Or is it just to broadcast? I guess what will happen in an emergency broadcast? G men show up? Ha ha

A license is required but wonder what is the range of these small hand held radios? Not like your broadcasting around the world. At one time believe you were suppose to have a license for CB radios.

We've found these Baofengs go about 1 mile with average topography. I live in a mountain /hilly area...and they can't make it over the hills.

we've had contact between two Baofengs from the Bush turnoff on Beeline all the way to Fountain Hills - with line of sight, their distance can be several miles at least

I air down to 15 psi in an 80 series. I have a ham, no license and broadcast from it..I am living on the edge

I air down to 15 psi in an 80 series. I have a ham, no license and broadcast from it..I am living on the edge

I have to agree. Big bother would have to be pretty close to catch you. These hand held units are really not much than a CB radio. I know there are more advance features that could extend the range that would want to have a license. Might look into getting a license this winter when we are back in town.

Sorry everyone, I am out. Sudden and unexpected business trip. I guess my tires get to stay clean a little while longer. :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom