September ROTM - Saturday, September 29 - Back Way to Crown King (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, folks, we are trying to make this one happen once again-- in June the forest closures ruined the plans.

Crown King is a very popular trail with great scenic views and a nice spot to grab a snack at the end. Although probably many CSC members have run this trail numerous times, I believe it's been a long time since the club officially ran it, and because we've had a lot of new members joining up:clap:, they may not be as familiar, and this is a good run to get your feet wet on.

Yes, it may still be on the "warm" side of things. Yes, there will probably be other traffic. But it will be fun! Once we get up to higher elevations toward Crown King, the temps should cool off.:cool:

When: Saturday, September 29, 2018 @ 9:00 AM

Where: Meet at the Chevron off Carefree Highway & I-17 3150 W Carefree Hwy, Phoenix, AZ 85086

This will be a day trip, I do not have any plans to try to camp, but anyone is welcome to do their own thing once we make it to Crown King. Day trippers from the Valley will easily make it back to Phoenix by late afternoon or early evening.

About the Trail

This is a fun and moderate trail, and a stock 4x4 Toyota should be able to make it, HOWEVER, the road does tend to change with the rains and snow, and last time I was up there it looked to be due for maintenance, so it may be even more exciting than remembered...:hmm: I have not had time to pre-run this trail yet this year (I did pre-run a different plan I had, but it turned out the monsoons made the trail totally impassible even for a Land Cruiser *gasp*, so this is plan B), so the monsoons MAY have added some interesting bits. I will be calling the FS to see if they can provide any idea about road conditions. For those of you who want a bit more excitement, there are plenty of more technical offshoots to test your skills. :steer:

According to Backway to Crown King | AZoffroading.com the trail is about 34 miles long, and shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours, depending on the size group we have.

Please post up if you plan to attend so I can get a good idea about the group size! :cheers:

Recommend Items
  • Bring plenty of water!
  • Snacks and lunch (unless we decide to pull together a CSC group lunch)!
  • A way to air down
  • Onboard air is nice but we can air you up if necessary
  • If unlicensed HAM, it's still nice to have a handheld to monitor and/or for emergencies. I'll have a couple extras with me
Attendees
  1. @Abigail
  2. @Cruddz
  3. @avicado
  4. @Kruiser Kat
  5. @TheDesertRat
  6. @Mattman (likely)
  7. @Cactuscrzr
  8. @DPA200
  9. Joe Miles
  10. @cruiserboy14
  11. @DSRTRDR
  12. @Ken in AZ
  13. @Chris in AZ + 3 friends

Last edited:
Put me as tentative. I need to see if I can get the weekend off and the wife's approval to be away. Her working a regular 9-5 and I retail our days off do not coincide.

Definite maybe on this. Really want to make the trip as I haven't been out since spring.

I'm booked Saturday. I'd like to make the run, so as to take my FJ40 on a shakedown after sitting all summer. It's good to go with a group just in case something goes wrong. Maybe next month.

Count Dave (TheDesertRat) and I in. :steer: We'll take both LCs, give my 100 it's first trail with the group!

Did it in February with my Isuzu car club (and before all the rain) and it was 5 hrs with very capable vehicles. Was pretty rough then...can only imagine how it is now after the rain!
Look forward to any info you get @Abigail

I vote for group lunch at "The Mill" restaurant....have big tables, cool surroundings, have an authentic old stamp mill on display! :cat:

Last edited:
I'll prob do this run. It's been a while, last time I went was on two wheels (much faster ;))

Abigail, I'll likely meet at Castle Hot Springs road or maybe CK rock as going to Chevron would be the opposite way for me.

What time do you think you could realistically get back into the PHX area that day? I've got a concert that starts at 7pm that night.

@AZCRSR ....Dierks?

was thinking the same thing. I really like the trail to KK, but there's always the chance things won't go as planned.

(granted, this happens a lot less with landcruisers, than it did with the International Scout club when we did this run)

Good call. Dierks it is...

Hate to miss it, but I will be pulling my motor that weekend. Anyone looking for a 1FZ-FE core? It runs, but has a knock. Also will have the 443....344...4333......something model Aisin tranny..........

Hey @Abigail i just got cleared for this, count me in! I was bummed when June run got canceled so I’m excited to make this one. I’ll be in my 200, this is my 1st run with the club. I don’t have a HAM license, but if you could lend me a spare for monitoring that’d be great.

Hey @Abigail i just got cleared for this, count me in! I was bummed when June run got canceled so I’m excited to make this one. I’ll be in my 200, this is my 1st run with the club. I don’t have a HAM license, but if you could lend me a spare for monitoring that’d be great.

You got it! Glad you're making this one:clap:

Add "TheDesertRat" to the attending list, we'll both be driving.

Any updates on trail condition from after the rain?

The Ranger said it is "rough" but the road is open, probably some washout areas. This will make for an interesting trip! :clap::steer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom