September Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My post 5 messages down from this one wasn't good enough for you? :flipoff2:
I would guess we'll know more after the next meeting?

There seems to be a definite lack of interest in going wheel'n on the Labour Day weekend. Well, I'm definitely going and so is Gary Telford if his vehicle is running. My nephew Fred in his Jeep YJ may come too. I plan to go up the Fraser Canyon past Lytton and Lillooett, then take the Yalakom FSR all the way to Poison Mtn. Probably camp in the Yalakom Provincial Park area, or possibly the Mud Lake or Swartz Lakes area. Then turn south down to Goldbridge, then on to the Hurley FSR and camp in the Donelly Creek area. Then home via Pemberton, Whistler and Sea To Sky highway.
If any of you are interested in joining us, email me at z9q2k7m4@telus.net or phone me from the club phone list.
~Bill

that is a grat trip, I have done it once 3 years ago, just past the swarts lake there was a beaver dam and it flodded the road. We had to let some water out to pass - no snorkles.
Kept the beaver busy for a day or so - I still feel bad about that.

was there 6 weeks ago. take lots of bug spray. shwartz lake was so bad we couldn't eat lunch outside on a windy day. the beaver dam is still there and there are four or five crossings of churn creek right after it that could get nasty with a lot of water. you could drive out on the mud creek road back to tyax and out near goldbridge. it is an easy drive out from the first mud lake.

Hi Gang,

I'm looking for a fun trip on that weekend. Bill, let me know if its a definite "go". I may even be able to talk my GF into it. :)

Bruce in Tsawwassen

I'm in..

Goes thru squamish both ways, so works for me. Been looking to do that trip anyway

Garry

P.S. If anyone emails trip pics to me at garry@bcmail.net I will post them on coastalcruisers.ca. FTP to follow

I'm running a stock BJ74. Any idea of the ratings the trip will cover? When will we leave/return?

Bruce

the entire route would be passable in a stock 74 but I would extend your diff breathers for churn creek. the road is steadily rougher from the poison mountain/ yalokum junction to schwartz lake then for another 5km south to the mud lakes. otherwise the entire route is an easy good quality FSR. you will see some uncomfortable off camber, and some wash out on switchback hills, and it got slightly hairy when both those happened at once, but I think i only shifted into 4 lo maybe 3 times, and never locked up.

Garry & Bill,

I'd prefer the Squamish route to the Lytton route. Less driving I think and more time for FSR. BTW, do you know if they ever opened the Indian River road for the summer? I was twice in only to find it gated.

Bruce in Tsawwassen

So far, those interested in going this weekend are Steve Tetu, Gary Telford, Jan Hedmark, Fred Ledlin, Bruce Davie, Garry Broeckling, and myself. Tomorrow, Wednesday, I am trying to firm up everybody's committment to attend. I had hoped to meet at Rickey's Restaurant at 200 st and Hwy 1 at 8:00 am Saturday morning, however nothing is written in stone as to these arrangements. I like the idea of getting cheaper fuel by filling up in Abbotsford on the way East. If some of you would prefer going via Squamish, we could meet you at Lillooet I guess. You probably should bring a Jerrycan of fuel as it is a long way from Lillooet up the Yalacom, up/around Poison Mtn, and back down to Goldbridge, especially if you're driving a gasser. On a long weekend, some smalltown gas stations may be closed too.
I'll post more info tomorrow night. By the way, I'm thinking of going to Clear Creek Thursday morning for a day trip.
~Bill

That Indian River road is the site of a hydro electric construction project. I went up there last year and the construction workers were hostile to me going through.
~Bill

sorry to keep piping in here but just a confirmation/warning that the gas station in goldbridge was closed on the july 1st long weekend.

by the way, have a great trip. I would have loved to join you but it seems like I am never free the weekend of your roadtrips!

OK guys, change of plans. We are now meeting in West Vancouver Park Royal at the White Spot Restaurant at the corner of Taylor Way and Marine Drive at 8:00 am Saturday morning. Then we are heading up the Squamish highway to pick up Garry B in Squamish. Then up the Duffy Lake Road to Lillooet and beyond to Yalacom River area as we planed to go. If the Goldbridge gas station is closed on the long weekend, then I guess we'd better take lots of fuel, especially the gassers. Keep checking if case there are further changes of plans.
~Bill Wilkinson

OK guys, Garry Broeckling has developed his website www.coastalcruisers.ca to show his, and Bruce's and my pictures of the Labour Day long weekend trip up to Lillooet, Poison Mtn, China Head, and Mud Lake/Swartz Lake. When you get in there, just click on Website DCS under the Coastal Cruisers sign to get lots of thumbnail pics of our trip. Later, go back to the beginning and click on Caraboo 2005-05-01 to get more pics.
Garry has worked hard to assemble this and we all owe him a big thanks for all his work and great photography. I believe we could develop this site into our new home page if we want to.
~Bill
P.S. Yes, I know its spelled CARIBOU

Hi Bill,

Great work. And big thanks to Garry B. He's a good man.

We had a great weekend. And the best part is that Milena loved it. That means more trips. Yes! :)

For anyone interested, we have the Garmin route data w. waypoints. The peak of China Head was at 7400 ft.

Bruce

A2B in a TLC said:
Hi Bill,

Great work. And big thanks to Garry B. He's a good man.

We had a great weekend. And the best part is that Milena loved it. That means more trips. Yes! :)

For anyone interested, we have the Garmin route data w. waypoints. The peak of China Head was at 7400 ft.

Bruce

Bruce I am interested because I got exactly the same GPS result up there, yet the maps I looked at tell me its several hundred feet lower.

Hey Semlin,

2256 meters divided by .3048 meters per ft = 7401.57 ft.

Are you reading the same?

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom