September long trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am currently going to be in Hinton for the long weekend but plans can change. Where is this trail?

West of highway 940, north of crowsnest pass near livingstone falls. A good ways south. Trail we've covered so far included a lot of nasty washouts, challenging technical wheeling. Made it roughly 1/3 into trail in a day and turned around due to time restraints. Getting past the spot we turned around will mean enlarging an existing bypass to allow vehicle traffic. If the rest of the trail is as tough as the first bit, I feel 3 days is a comfortable allotment of time. That being said, we have no idea what lies ahead, could be smooth sailing, but I doubt it. If your interested, come prepared. Make sure rig is tip top, recovery gear, tools, food, water, fuel for 3 days. Chainsaw if you've got one. The usual.

Only me and fjtent have committed so far, but if your into it I'd go with three trucks. Its still early in the game.

I wont be able to make this one. Two weddings that weekend. Could leave Sunday morning but doesn't leave much time for wheeling.

I'm in. The second time around is always better than the first ;). I say let's go with two trucks if we have to. Another option is scouting out part of the McKenzie Trail if this is not doable.

Last edited:
Let's meet at the Petro-Canada, Fri evening, at the Trans Canada/22. Post up a time or text me when you can get there.

no chance of me making this one. Due to me getting engaged last weekend apparently priority is being giving to seeing family over playing with trucks. Have fun and take some pictures for us.

Take some good pics. I will be interested in heading out there again. Is Millie still on street tires?

Epic, EPIC run. Add 3-6" of snow, spectacular washouts and high altitude makes this trail extremely difficult and not for the faint-hearted. Definitley a must do in preparation for the Canol Road and McKenzie Trail. Were thinking of naming it the High Roller trail because we both almost rolled numerous times. But because of skill and daring, sprinkled with alot of common sense (and very slow speeds) we made it thru. In terms of washouts, you've seen nothing yet. Trail topped out at approx 7100'. Views were spectacular, although covered with low snow clouds. It snowed from begining to end.

Would I do this trail again, h--l yes. But be prepared as my trail colleague likes to say.

And yes I'm still on street tires....wiseguy :)

Sounds like fun. Safe to assume it became much more difficult further along? Would it be doable as a winter run?

Yep, it was a good one alright. There was zero room for error, no time to relax, the next obstacle is right there. And so is the edge. Add a bit of wet snow and its a mess. But, patience and perserverence did the trick. Fancy winching was mandatory several times to avoid serious carnage or simply sliding off into oblivion. I've never seen the front tire on an 80 with that much air under it before. And I dont know why I didnt wipe out the whole right side of my truck. Silly gravity. No, I would not recommend this as a winter run. Could it be done? Probably. Carefully. It would take time. Would I lead this run in the winter? Nope. I'd sure like to go back in the dry tho. There is also a potential loop of trail that I would really like to investigate. I did get a few pics along the way, but none that do it justice. My internet sucks and I don't have the patience tonight. Ill post up a few soon tho.
DSCF0128.JPG
. one for the road.

I also wouldn't recommend this as a winter run. But I'm not the one to ask because most of the obstacles we went thru I would have said 'Nope. Time to turn back'. So I will defer to my trail colleague's opinion because he's correct. Quite difficult with snow. Doing it dry? I'd say it's a must do. I would also like to attempt this trail in the summer time and do the 'loop' part we bypassed.

Last edited:
How long did it take to run it? How much do you figure we managed August long?

It took us approx 1.75 days with 2 vehicles. We spent most of the time on obstacles. I'd say we made it a 1/4 to a 1/3 way thru (if that) on the Aug long. To attempt the whole trail with more vehicles, time would increase exponentially depending on the conditions. The second to last obstacle a good portion of the mountain/hill was washed away. We spent a good hour on that obstacle setting up a recovery system and widening the trail. It might be impassable when we return.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom