September 4-10: San Juan Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1000Taco0001

SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to get a thread started on this trip since it is a bit longer so here goes...

==== (updating as new information comes in) ====
Let me know if it needs an update.
Ok, it’s a packed house here, Gold horn is pretty full.
Call when you com up and we will try and squat in a space to eke room.
Give a call here is Jeremy’s cell: 719-213-0893

Trip: San Juan
Dates: September 4-10 (you are welcome to come and go as you please)

COVID Updates for SanJuan area: San Juan National Forest - Alerts & Notices

Trip Lead: @wonderlc

Meet-up date and location:
Jeremy and I will be heading out on the 3rd. With campgrounds closed we are guessing dispersed camping will be a madhouse.
If you want to come up with us, let us know. We will likely crash out at Elk Creek Campground in the evening if it's really late and head the rest of the way Thursday morning. (right now we plan to play it by ear)

We had a great location last year so we will be targeting the following camping location:

Gold Horn Dispersed camping area. (Golden Horn Camping Area Reviews updated 2020)
The turn off is located 2 miles north of Silverton (it is marked by a small camping sign) on South Mineral Creek (FS road 585). Its on a left turn off into the camping area. I normally camp back in the far corner with a short walk along the stream (really nice area!). If you make it to the actual campground you've gone too far!
--- Update (Sept 1): Mineral campground is open so it may not be so bad finding a dispersed camping spot.

Communications:
CB channel 4
HAM Freq 146.460

What trails are we running?

So far the plan so far is:
Since it looks like it will be just Jeremy and I for the first part of the trip, we are going to touch base with the C4CSW group and hit the following trails Saturday and Sunday. (you are welcome to join us. If you do please hit their website and fill out the liability forms)

M - F is still forming up: If you are coming up and want to change any around let us know and we will pivot we want to make sure everyone has a good time!
Jeremy and I are rookies here so we would gladly bow out for anyone else wanting to take lead on the trip for more familiar day outings. Based on the list and days below we are probably being pretty optimistic. :)

Who has confirmed so far:
If I missed someone or status changes let me know and I'll update.

Confirmed:
@000doodie000 (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) Gray Tacoma (gen2) - Josh (Comms: HAM -N0AFK And CB)
@wonderlc (4,5,6,7,8,9,10) White 80 (4bt) - Jeremy (Comms: CB)
@no username (8,9,10): Green Ford Ranger Josh C. - (Comms: CB)

Maybe:
@twbland Lt Brown 80 (LS) - Todd (Comms: HAM - W0TWB )
@PWCO70cruiser - Xterra - Kyle (Comms:??)

Likely Out this year:
??

Confirmed Out this year:
@SAS - Red 60 - Tracy (Comms: HAM and CB)

Space intentionally added......

List of trails:
Imogene
- Imogene Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
- Imogene Pass- Alternate Northern Access - Colorado Offroad Trail
Black Bear
- Black Bear Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
Ophir
- Ophir Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
Corkscrew-California
- Corkscrew Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
Engineer-Cinnamon (Alpine Loop)
- Engineer Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
- Engineer Pass - Alpine Loop Connector - Colorado Offroad Trail
- Cinnamon Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
Governor Basin
- Governor Basin - Colorado Offroad Trail
Sydney Basin
- Sydney Basin - Colorado Offroad Trail
Yankee Boy
- Yankee Boy Basin - Colorado Offroad Trail
Kendall Mountain
- Kendall Mountain 170910
Bolam Pass
- Bolam Pass 080828 (dated)
maybe Buffalo Boy
maybe Stony Pass (dated)
- Stony Pass - Colorado Offroad Trail
maybe Kite Lake (dated)

If I missed anything, let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks Josh for getting this going. I just got my schedule and leave was cancelled for the month of Sept. We have 2 people away on fires and 2 brand new people who aren't even allowed in the building to train up. I do have a couple days off during that period and may come down if I can work it. Doctor was also a bit leary about me going with a compromised immune system due to my treatments. So I won't be able to head this up this year.

I'm a maybe.

EDIT: Sunday, August 30--

I'm out. Work is back "on" for the 8th. I've got a buddy coming out from North Carolina; we're going to spend Saturday & Sunday together on Mosquito Pass, Tincup or Pearl Pass, then Crested Butte (Paradise Divide, Schofield Pass, Crystal Mill).

I'm going to give him contact info for you guys going to Ouray/Silverton. Let him tag along with you on Black Bear, Imogene, Yankee Boy, etc. Maybe @twbland can take him over Poughkeepsie!!!

Last edited:
I’m considering this as well but not joining up until sometime on the 7th. I’ll be in Ouray 4th-7th with family and may stay over a few days to wheel.

I'm a maybe.

EDIT: Sunday, August 30--

I'm out. Work is back "on" for the 8th. I've got a buddy coming out from North Carolina; we're going to spend Saturday & Sunday together on Mosquito Pass, Tincup or Pearl Pass, then Crested Butte (Paradise Divide, Schofield Pass, Crystal Mill).

I'm going to give him contact info for you guys going to Ouray/Silverton. Let him tag along with you on Black Bear, Imogene, Yankee Boy, etc. Maybe @twbland can take him over Poughkeepsie!!!
Sounds like a plan...if it open. Is he driving a trooper on 31's as well? :steer:

So my plan is to head down from Ouray on Monday morning (7th) and say a couple nights at mineral creek campground with you guys. Save me a spot if you can. I’ll likely head back on Wednesday. If I don’t get down early enough on Monday to meet up for the trail, I’ll chill and set up camp.

So my plan is to head down from Ouray on Monday morning (7th) and say a couple nights at mineral creek campground with you guys. Save me a spot if you can. I’ll likely head back on Wednesday. If I don’t get down early enough on Monday to meet up for the trail, I’ll chill and set up camp.

You can’t miss us. We are just off the trail entering the campground. There is a little green and brown (Wenzel brand) tent in a space next to a pop trailer. If we are out on the trail Monday, and there is nothing open yet, feel free to pull in next to the tent. I’m hoping people start to clear out Monday so we can upgrade our spot.

You can’t miss us. We are just off the trail entering the campground. There is a little green and brown (Wenzel brand) tent in a space next to a pop trailer. If we are out on the trail Monday, and there is nothing open yet, feel free to pull in next to the tent. I’m hoping people start to clear out Monday so we can upgrade our spot.
Change of plans...going back on Monday. Sorry to bail but need to do some work at home that came up before I left. Stay safe and hope we can ride a trail together soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom