September 30, 2019 ban on "offering for sale" The Baofeng Sales Ban Countdown Continues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To each his own. I have a couple of Baofengs, they are good enough, disposable, and cheap for field work, if you loose one or drop it on a mud hole, no biggie, my after market antenna cost more than the radio itself. Rugged Radios rebrands them. But they conflict with part 95, too much power for FRS (2W max). But I wouldnt rely on them for survival situation, Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu handies is what I would recommend as some are built to withstand serious rough use and can be submersible. If you do get them, at least get a Ham license (or as a minimum study the band plans) so you know which frequencies to stay away from so you don't interfere with other users. That can be done by programming limits to the Baofeng with Chirp and a simple cable. Keep in mind radio waves do travel at the speed of light and can go a long way.

I own 4 of these and like Izzy said they are great because they are cheap and disposable. I wouldn't trust one as my only comms though. My problem with them is everyone has one now and not many people make an attempt to get their ticket or educate themselves so in an offroad club its just a bunch of people stepping over each other in the 151.XXX freqs.

Baofeng is garbage, several spectrum issues as well as unlicenced operation which can happen with any radio.

Other than the low price, what did you like about it?

I work as a radio technician for a pipeline company, and have had my ham licence since I was 12 years old. If I can do it, you probably can too, and gain a license on VHF/UHF.

Otherwise, don't read the ARRL studyguide in basic electronics, radio theory, communications law. Stick to only CB and FRS.

i have a yaesu unit in my vehicle but these little guys seem always work for me... yes the antenna is garbage and they are cheap but for basic coms they work

They are banned for a reason. They fail to meet FCC specifications for spurious noise while transmitting and other design defects. They also lack any FCC registration. It's like cutting off your exhaust and running a straight pipe on your diesel, blowing black smoke on everyone.

And I know you guys don't do that.

And the FCC only became aware of this now?? After how many thousands of these devices were sold?? Really??

At this point in time, any "technical justification" for this action is simply not credible.

By the way, nobody in the HAM club I used to belong to has complained about these little radios while used by licensed HAMs on legit HAM frequencies. Au contraire, they used to welcome input on how to program these things...

A pig with lipstick is still a pig. It's not difficult to do things the right way, learn the theory, get your license and use the right equipment.

The article original referenced here was a difficult read, more layers than an onion to step though there. Perhaps that was the point, I don't know.

I'm relatively new to HAM and at the time I received my license I didn't own a vehicle with a radio. (that oversight has since been corrected). I purchased a Baofeng and used it to listen to the local clubs in an effort to learn the "etiquette" of communicating via HAM. In that role it served its purpose quite well.

what do you guys think about this? September 30th Ban
Well as has been said they are cheep radios from China. The reason the FCC is looking to ban these has more to do to the fact that they transmit outside the ham bands and interfere with other users than that they are noisy. At 5W the noise is not normally a problem. If I were to guess the Chinese will just restrict the transmit frequencies and take another run at it. They are a crappy radio but I carry a few with me so I can't be throwing stones.

Honestly, I love those little Chinacom units. Great for spotting folks on the trail and if it gets dropped or damaged I don't really care. It's also a great tool to get the "I don't use ham radio because I don't want to take a test" folks into it. Sort of like a stepping stone into a larger world.
Many of the GCLC folks started out with the UV-5R and have moved up to real mobile radios. Personally I have 4 plus the TM-V71A in my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom