September 2022 Club Run - Monache Meadows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This run could be either the 3rd or 4th weekend of September, dates TBD. Please Note: We will need a Trail Leader to volunteer for this run. I will be out the country, and unable to attend. However, I'll be glad to assist in the planning in any way that I can.

Ideally, one or two club members would be able to get up there a day or two early to secure campsites (if you're a fisherman, the South Fork of the Kern River flows from the Golden Trout Wilderness through this area, so you might get a little Golden Trout action in the river...). I would suggest the majority of the attendees arrive early enough on Friday to set up camp. Of course, any members who'd like to extend their stay through the weekend, should do so. It's really a great area to relax in!

For those who have a bit more time and want more challenge, Sherman Pass 4X4 trail is only about 40 miles away, towards Kernville. This trail is rated "Difficult" in one of my older trail guide books, and it's rated "5 - Moderate" by OnXOffroad. If you choose to give this trail a try, I'd suggest a minimum of 2 rigs, with spotters/rock stackers to help. I've never done this trail, but I understand there's some great dispersed camping in the Bonita Meadows area along this trail.

Will you please review your schedules and weigh in this run proposal? Thanks!

This run could be either the 3rd or 4th weekend of September, dates TBD. Please Note: We will need a Trail Leader to volunteer for this run. I will be out the country, and unable to attend. However, I'll be glad to assist in the planning in any way that I can.

Ideally, one or two club members would be able to get up there a day or two early to secure campsites (if you're a fisherman, the South Fork of the Kern River flows from the Golden Trout Wilderness through this area, so you might get a little Golden Trout action in the river...). I would suggest the majority of the attendees arrive early enough on Friday to set up camp. Of course, any members who'd like to extend their stay through the weekend, should do so. It's really a great area to relax in!

For those who have a bit more time and want more challenge, Sherman Pass 4X4 trail is only about 40 miles away, towards Kernville. This trail is rated "Difficult" in one of my older trail guide books, and it's rated "5 - Moderate" by OnXOffroad. If you choose to give this trail a try, I'd suggest a minimum of 2 rigs, with spotters/rock stackers to help. I've never done this trail, but I understand there's some great dispersed camping in the Bonita Meadows area along this trail.

I am interested in this trail overlanding event. the dates I would prefer 9/16,17,18
9/15,16,17,

If possible 1 or 2 drivers were able to go in advance to try and secure camping sites?

The Sherman pass trail idea is also interesting. However I don't know if any club member has 1st hand experience of this this area?

Marc

If you have this trail guide book. Sherman Pass 4X4 trail is rated "blue" , Moderate steep and narrow no major obstacles suitable for aggressive high clearance stock vehicles with experienced driver . As Joe mentioned numerous camp locations, including popular Bonita meadows . Marc

20220809_190626.jpg

Except for a couple weekend days, September until mid October are out for me. I’ll miss this one. Have fun everyone and post pictures!

I'm in for going up early. Ran Sherman years ago. At least I thing it was! I'll have to pull out some d stuff and check!

BUMP! Is anyone other than oc cruiser 97 (Marc) & Brentbba planning to do this run? Trail Leader/Coordinator? Finalize dates at the September Club Meeting?

I'm afraid I'm backing out on this one. 🙁

BUMP! Is anyone other than oc cruiser 97 (Marc) & Brentbba planning to do this run? Trail Leader/Coordinator? Finalize dates at the September Club Meeting?
I will discuss Sherman Pass/ Monache Meadows at the meeting? If no interest, maybe a local day run?? Or maybe I'll go fishing 🎣 🤔.

Marc

FWIW, I picked up a few free maps when I was camping with ES4WD club. Will be offering to anyone interested. Will also bring the free surfer mats for anyone interested 😉. I will keep a few for those who already requested several weeks ago .

Marc

Hello fellow club members, at our September meeting yesterday 9/11 we we did not have much interest in the September club camping/ trail event . Myself included may have a possible schedule conflict as well( i will know by Wed evening) . The scheduled dates are as follows either 9/23,or 9/24,25 . A trail leader would be required and possibly to go A-day in advance to secure a camping location site ?
If anyone is interested in participating in this club run please respond to this thread(only if going) no later than 8pm Tuesday 9/13 please . This event is only about 2 weeks away at this point .

Marc

The September club camping trip, Monache Meadows is officially canceled. Sorry folks there wasn't much interest for this month's club event.
If there is any interest in A day run on Saturday 9/22 ? Possibly up in the big bear area . Please respond to this thread, no later than Monday 9/19.

A quick reminder the club AAT event is going on this Saturday 9/17 @9am , in big bear area (fawnskin).

Marc

I'm in for a day run. Big Bear area, there are many trails there. Or we can try Crestline along the Cloudland Truck Trails - 2N30 and 2N40.
Yes good ideas Dat, In my original post I mistakenly put the wrong date for this day run event . 9/24 Saturday is the correct date. When We get into next midweek we will need to pin down meeting location and final trail selection .
Anyone else who is interested please respond to this thread .

Marc

Marc
Looks like it’s just you and me for the Saturday 9/24 day run.
I’m thinking we can take it easy on 2N30 and 2N40 or try something over in the Green Valley area, just south of Big Bear. During the ride home after the AAT work day, there’s a 2N54 spur that looks like a bit of an adventure. On my map it connects with Crab Flats and goes toward Dishpan Springs. Dishpan is a Black Diamond trail that I’m not ready to take on but would like to check it out.
Does this sound interesting to anyone else? Reply please if you are and hope to see you Saturday!

Last edited:
So Marc and I set out for a day run. I noticed a small coolant leak and the fix delayed our rendezvous but we met and gassed up at Speedway on Baseline Ave. Marc’s white FJ62 and my rusty 80 stayed on asphalt for another twenty minutes and drove past California State University San Bernardino (if I were going to college today, that’ll be my first choice - so close to the trails!). End of blacktop is trail 2N40 aka Cloudland Truck Trail. It’s a slow and easy drive switching back and forth through the hillsides. We stopped at one vista point and notice some Pacifico cans so we decided to do a little clean up. The drive up took us to the hang glider’s launch pad.
3282AEA1-5A5B-4BF3-A1CB-86354586E230.jpeg

The wooden ramp points downward ending at a cliff :eek:. If any of us are looking for something more adventurous than off roading, hang gliders are ballsy! But that’s not a bad view to go out with!! Saddleback peak is on the horizon. We continued North and found ourselves at highway 18. This was a good trail to test out the health of our rigs and take in the view (of the smog layer).

So Marc and I set out for a day run. I noticed a small coolant leak and the fix delayed our rendezvous but we met and gassed up at Speedway on Baseline Ave. Marc’s white FJ62 and my rusty 80 stayed on asphalt for another twenty minutes and drove past California State University San Bernardino (if I were going to college today, that’ll be my first choice - so close to the trails!). End of blacktop is trail 2N40 aka Cloudland Truck Trail. It’s a slow and easy drive switching back and forth through the hillsides. We stopped at one vista point and notice some Pacifico cans so we decided to do a little clean up. The drive up took us to the hang glider’s launch pad.
View attachment 3122999
The wooden ramp points downward ending at a cliff :eek:. If any of us are looking for something more adventurous than off roading, hang gliders are ballsy! But that’s not a bad view to go out with!! Saddleback peak is on the horizon. We continued North and found ourselves at highway 18. This was a good trail to test out the health of our rigs and take in the view (of the smog layer).
Sounds like fun! Thanks for the write-up, Dat. I wish i could have been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom