For Sale Sept. 74 oem soft top 40 - Boulder, CO - $3,500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sept. 74 oem soft top 40 - Boulder, CO New price -$2,500

Hi there,

I've finally decided that I have too many, "projects". I don't seem to ever make real progress on any of them, so I need to thin the herd. I bought this thinking that you don't see many OEM soft top 40's with an oem PTO winch, and that it was a fun driver as-is, with plans to some day do a tub swap. But I haven't made much progress, and have bought a troopy, etc... so I need to put priorities else where.

So here goes - Sept, 74 OEM soft top model with a PTO winch.
Based on the build date. I think that this is one of the F/2F hybrids, that has an F with the better oiling system. But I am not sure how to tell, so that is a guess.

The engine has an Offenhauser performance intake, headers & small Holley 4 barrel carb. The carb was just rebuilt for colorado altitude, but I just mounted it & started the truck up, so I am sure it needs to be tuned for best performance. The truck runs really smooth when it is warmed up, but starts a little rough becuase it doesn't have a heat riser mounted, witht the header. So until it is warm, the idle is rough.

The tub has a lot of rust/rust through becuase the old lady I bought it from had a son that parked it outside without the roof on it for a year, while she was on some research sabatical in California (he collected motorcycles & wanted the garage space). I have another, fairly nice 74 tub (cowl back) that needs soem work, but my plan was to get it sandblasted & weld in new pieces on it, so that it was mint & then swap it onto this truck. The PO's son also broke the front hoop of the soft top frame, so I only have the doors, top & back half of the frame. I have a hard top & doors that I was going to use with this truck in the winter, they go with it the sale. They aren't great, but they are functional and warmer than the soft top. The roof cap got a little bent last spring when we had a heavy late snow, but i think it is still functional & will mount up again with a little work.

I had always planned on eventually buying the front half that is missing from the oem frame, from one of the sources available now, but haven't done so yet. I am thinking of ordering a soft top from for my troopy frm Paul Pilgrim, so if you wanted to buy the missing parts for this one then, you could catch a free ride into the USA with my top. Also the drop down tailgate is in rough shape.

As mentioned I look at it like a fun driver, with the opportunity of fixing up as time goes on...

I know I am forgetting things, but this is a good start. I will post some pics, and also I took some video that has been posted on you-tube. It has a lot more details & I will post those links.
I mention in the video that the temp guage doesn't work & that I don't know if the PTO works. But since having filmed them a couple of weeks ago I have cleaned the terminals on the temp guage wiring, and have also learned how to use the PTO. They both work really well now.

YouTube - Sept. 74 FJ40

YouTube - 74 FJ40 soft top frame

YouTube - 74 FJ40 tub

YouTube - FJ40 kayline sodttop

I think these are all the videos that I shot, but I will have to look through them to check. I have pics to post as well, but the files are too big, so it will take me a little time to get them up.
Feel free to ask questions, or request other pics if you are interested.
Best,
Abe

Last edited:
some pics

I forgot to mention that I also have a brand new pair of Best Top Black canvas seats that go with this sale. I don't have pics of them, because they are stored in a friend's garage at the moment.

74 40 front.jpg

74 40 passenger side.jpg

74 40 back.jpg
74 40 front.jpg
74 40 passenger side.jpg
74 40 back.jpg

still more pics...

74 tub drivers side.jpg

74 tub front.jpg

If anyone wants more info, or specific pics/video of anything just let me know. At the moment I don't plan on splitting anything out, but I might do that later if it doesn't sell. Although I don't plan on parting the soft top/doors or PTO from this truck, as I feel like they are a part of it. But if you buy the whole thing you are welcome to sell off whatever parts you don't want since its your then.

Thanks,
Abe
74 tub drivers side.jpg
74 tub front.jpg

Realized that I forgot to mention that the battery is almost a year old, and the engine number is F562120. I haven't ever looked at the frame number, but I can if anyone wants to know what it is.

Also, this truck is a 4 speed, floor shift. I took some pics of the engine bay also, that i haven't, 'downsized" yet, but will post ASAP.
best,
Abe

cleaned the doors

So I started cleaning the soft doors today. As you can see in the pics above the drivers door was filthy. I could tell that someone had coated the door in something, but didn't know what. So after I cleaned them for a while, it was coming up really well & I hosed it down to see what was still needed.

Then I realized that it wasn't just dirt on the driver's door. The lady I bought the truck from was an artist, & I realized that at some point in the past she painted the view of a sunset from her back deck onto the door! Kind of a strange place for a painting, but I suppose it is canvas...
So then I didn't have the heard to keep cleaning it any further. The new owner could clean them up, or leave them, or whatever they want.
Anyway, a few pics!

soft doors.jpg

passenger door.jpg

drivers door - full.jpg
soft doors.jpg
passenger door.jpg
drivers door - full.jpg

a couple more of the painting

there is a small pond just west of her place (she lives a long way up sunshine canyon if you know where that is)....

drivers door top left.jpg

2nd drivers door full.jpg

Also, I cleaned all the dirt off the windows on the soft top today. They clean up well! And I unspooled/respooled the winch. It looks a lot better now, but I did find out that there is a kink in the cable about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way into it....

best,
abe
drivers door top left.jpg
2nd drivers door full.jpg

New Price, $2,500

Bump for a new price of $2,500.

Also got the rear zipper fixed, so now all of the zippers on the top work great. Plus, I made a little home made copper tubing front bow, to hold the top up properly so that I can drive it around with the top on. A couple of pics or the first version of the bow (it changed to rounded corners) & also the top with the bow on before I cleaned it.

Best,
Abe

Top pic.jpg

Top pic #2.jpg
Top pic.jpg
Top pic #2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom