Sent wish list to CDan, but forgot to knock on wood. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The weather's been great here a mile above sea level. We've had plenty of warm days and dry roads all Winter so far. Gotten in lots of miles on the bike.:) I got to thinking ahead to spring break and thought maybe I'd get some PM done on the cruiser before the big ski trip. Crawled all over it and sent a quick list to CDan. Not wanting to leave anything out I drove out into the nearest field to check the diff locks. Try as I might, I couldn't get the center diff to lock. Ditto the front/rear locks. No problem, I'll just take it up on a snow covered trail, lock it in low, drive for a while and let it fix itself - just like last time.

However, a couple of days later I drive into town for conferences with a couple professors and I notice an oil smell in the parking lot. It's a hot gear oil smell. There's a Cherokee parked in front of me and I feel sorry for the poor bastard. Before I get back in, I take a peak under the cruiser's skirt and, wait a minute, there's gear oil all over the exhaust, ps inner tire and fender! The ps birf looks like it got greased bombed. Suddenly, I remember the image of a bolt compete with nut and cone washer - the one that I thought came from the neighbor's POS - I stepped over in front of the cruiser that morning. It was a slow drive home.:crybaby:

Once home, I pick up the sheared off bolt and take a sniff. It smells like gear oil. Also, there's a puddle of oil not far away marking the exact position of my ps front tire that morning. I make a mental note to pull the wheel off and have a look at the damage in the morning. But, surprise! There's six inches of snow on the ground this morning. The garage if full of crap so it's going to be a while before I can pull the wheel and augment my list for CDan. The cruiser's parked until the next thaw.

Hopefully, the bolt I have wrapped in a white paper towel beside the computer isn't mine. I won't know for sure until I can pull the wheel. Hopefully, we'll get a few warm dry days soon.

You may have lost a stud on the lower knuckle. If so, you don't want to drive it until you check the others. If they have backed out then you will get a birf soup leaking out of the knuckle. You can check it without removing a tyre... just crawl under it and look underneath each end of the axle.

-B-

The shaman must have thought your order wasn't big enough.

Jenny, Hope things work out. Glad to see you on the board, we missed you around here.

Romer said:
The shaman must have thought your order wasn't big enough.

Jenny, Hope things work out. Glad to see you on the board, we missed you around here.

Thanks. I've been reading posts, but haven't had anything to post for a while. I'll have plenty to post once everything gets here from CDan. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom