Sensitive Oil Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any idea why my oil light would illuminate when the dipstick is clearly half-way between the high and low marks (yes, I wipe the dip-stick with a clean rag before measuring)? The light seems to be somewhat intermittant, but tends to turn on about half a minute after I get to highway speeds then turns off about a minute later. Could there be blockages or a weak oil pump causing the problem? ???

Possibly the float on the sensor is hanging up.
This assumes you have a 1FZFE engine as you did not state your vehicle specifics.
D-

My oil light has come on twice. Both times at the same exact spot on the same exact road - several days apart.

It was raining each time.

Radio waves? Wet radio waves? Go figure.

Ed

BTW... Oil level was full

SLOSH!

We had the same problem. The light would go on for a few seconds each morning. Typically after we had driven a few hundred feet. Then it would go off a few seconds later.

Don't know what the problem was. Some have theorized the lack of or malfunctioning anti-drain back valve on the oil filter. Problem is, that would result in more oil in the plan, not less.

I personally think the sensor just becomes over sensitive. So if it goes on, I check the level and maybe add a half a quart. That is usually enough to make the problem go away.

Also, are you sure you are reading the dipstick right?-- sometimes I look at the dipstick and am not sure where the level really is. Drove me nuts the first time I had the problem.

Jared

Remove the sensor and clean it up. Had the problem on the Toy Previa and the shaft that the float rids on got gunked up. Cleaned it up with fine sand paper and the light didn't come on till it was low on oil.

17Nov2003 (UTC -7)

Hey... I think we have the same issue here, only mine is with a 1HD-FT (turbo-diesel). My problem, I think, went away today when I topped off with 3/4 qt of oil. And as landtoy80 suggested, I'm gonna check and clean the float on the sensor soon.

...I'm gonna update the other thread I started with same symptoms.

My 95' us spec did the same thing. I think in the owners manual it calls for like 7.6 quarts of oil during oil changes. After oil changes my light would come on and back off again driving around. Started putting 8 quarts in and the light stopped coming on. Hope that helps :) :beer:

[quote author=concretejungle link=board=2;threadid=7680;start=msg64641#msg64641 date=1069169424]
My 95' us spec did the same thing. I think in the owners manual it calls for like 7.6 quarts of oil during oil changes. After oil changes my light would come on and back off again driving around. Started putting 8 quarts in and the light stopped coming on. Hope that helps :) :beer:
[/quote]

Maybe the dipstick is a little too optimistic? I heard a problem w/ one guy who had a problem w/ his mini-truck. Shop did some work on it, installed a new (too long) dipstick, so he nearly burned up the engine before figuring out the long dipstick was giving him false oil level readings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom