Wipers Won't Stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, I'm moving to the land of the rising sun in two days and went to put my 80 in government issued long term storage yesterday. Hop in, and 100% out of the blue, the wipers won't stop. I pulled the fuse.

Of course the gov requires those to be functioning to be put in storage. So I hit the forums with a search and can't find anything useful except in the 60 series section.

Anybody had this same issue? Trying to get this knocked out so I don't have to pay River Runner to ship this thing back to TN.

Thanks guys.

There is no relay for the wipers. Everything is controlled by the switch on the steering wheel.
There is a power wire going directly to the motor from the fuse. Switch controls the speed of the motor.

So the only things that could be causing your issue are:
-switch stuck internally in "on" position
-motor stuck in "on" position

Unplug the connector for the switch and see if that turns them off. If it does, then the switch is stuck. If they are still on, then the motor is stuck.

You can probably fix either issue by taking apart the faulty component and cleaning it up.

Only time mine wouldn’t stop is when the motor in the wiper washer reservoir was unplugged. Maybe check that? Make sure it’s not chewed through.

The wiper park circuit might be missing the park switch.

The wiper park circuit might be missing the park switch.
The "park" switch is in the gear housing. I had my rear wiper fail with a constant ON. Not very common, but it does happen.
Replaced the motor with a used one. All good.

tplane2: If you can't fix it in time and due to the time pressure, can you push the fuse slightly in during the pre-storage inspection to show that the wipers "work" then pull it right back out to stop them??

I appreciate all the feedback on this. Long story short, I was only able to troubleshoot without tools as those had been packed away a couple days back. Reinserted the fuse and all was well. I hop in the day of re-inspection and of course they stayed on. I ended up pulling the fuse again and crossing my fingers. It slipped by the second inspector and off into storage for two years.

Thanks again gents!

IMG_6387.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom