Semi Primitive camping in Colorado?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning a 7 day trip through the rockies in colorado. I would like to find places to camp. Plan on heading to the Telluride area. I am coming from texas and may venture into easter Utah. I dont want/need showers, restrooms, just my 100 and whatever I bring. Just looking for suggestions. I say semi primitive, because I plan on sleeping near the truck, rather than hiking to remote areas.

Thanks.

When are you planning on coming ? Most of the higher elevations are covered in snow, and will be for awhile. Vail just got 24" of snow in then last two days. There is plenty of BLM/ forest service land where you can camp for free.

I'm not coming until mid-late august. The forest service land is exactly what I am looking for, can you point me in the right direction? Plan to stay in 2-4 different areas, from durango area to telluride and possibly into Utah.

Thanks.

Good thread, I've lived here a couple years and haven't had the opportunity until this year to do much camping. Also looking for something other than the basic family campgrounds with RV's, full electrical, water, etc...

I usually pick up one of the free state maps at the "Welcome" centers near the borders. They show all kindsa state & federal campsites. Pick the ones most distant from major towns/freeways. I've stayed in some beautiful country that way...

HTH

Hi All:

I too would like to spend sometime exploring Colorado!

Use the wonderful "world wide web" to search for the contact info of the US Forest Service Ranger Districts in Colorado that you are interested in visiting. You can purchase for maybe $5 a detailed map of their area with FS roads, 4wd trails, camp sites, etc. marked.

Have a great trip!

Alan

Sno Bored is right! There's never any reason to pay for camping in Colorado (unless you really want to camp near roads with strangers;)). Pick up the Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme. It gives detailed topo maps of the entire state. I would not use these maps for proper orienteering, but they provide excellent information on the lay of the land, access to public land, etc. Using these books I have found amazing places throughout Colorado. My wife & I also found areas just outside the Grand Canyon National Park's North Rim, where we were able to primitive camp (for free of course), without another soul near by.

Good luck and feel free to PM me for some of my favorite spots in the Aspen/Glenwood/Crested Butte areas. Happy camping!:D

Delorme TopoUSA mapping software is also good for finding places. I travel with both it and the paper maps.

I would take a look at these books. They are great for planning a trip to colorado. I have taken several trips to colorado in August and these books are a great asset. It will rate tails on a number basis. Take in mind that it is intended for general use so I have found that the trails are easier than stated. I have also found that you will need to pick fairly hard trails just to get away from station wagons and mini vans. When the summer heat hits denver many of its residents head to the hills to get away from the heat. I have used the taylor lake area several times and its wonderfull. The books are a must in my opinion. You can camp anywhere but fire wood is something you will need to bring. They frown on you gathering up wood thats on the ground.

COLORADO 4X4, 4WD, Jeep & Offroad Books, Trail Guidebooks, Maps & Videos

I have used the taylor lake area several times and its wonderfull. The books are a must in my opinion. You can camp anywhere but fire wood is something you will need to bring. They frown on you gathering up wood thats on the ground.

Taylor Park is excellent camping. The upper valley has amazing primitive camping. It's just on the other side of Taylor Pass from me, and right near some other great trails (Italian Creek, Pearl Pass, and Schofield Pass). Check with me before you come as these open late, and with the historic snowfall we've had this winter, some may not open at all.

As to wood gathering in the National Forests (and BLM for that matter), please gather and burn as much as possible!!! This is standing fuel on the forest floors and a contributer to forest fires. I am of course referring to deadfall, no live cutting please, but by all means hike through the woods and gather up as much deadfall as possible and burn it in a controlled campfire.

P.S. When camping in CO, I rarely ever bring any firewood, just a bow saw, ax, some newpaper, and boy scout juice (white gas;)). I only bring firewood when I'm going to the desert (Utah) and know that firewood is scarce.

The national forest access roads are all littered with home made camping sopts around there. most of them are used by Hunters in the fall. X3 - Get the Gazetteer

As others have mentioned - there are virtually unlimited undeveloped areas to camp in the greater telluride/silverton/ouray area. In particular, you may want to check into some of the many services offering jeep trips from ouray. Not for the jeep trip, but they can give you some ideas of the multitude of beautiful areas to explore. My personal favorite is to take the canyon road east out of silverton towards animas forks and over cinnamon pass toward lake city. If you have time, a soak in the swimming-pool hot springs in ouray is a great way to relax and enjoy the alpine scenery.

If you are into gold rush era mining towns, be sure to check out the town of creede which is nearby - one of the most authentic examples still around.

Last edited:
GREAT info everyone. Please keep it coming!

Go north up US 550 from Durango to either Silverton or just before Ouray and head up into the Alpine Loop. You can camp and explore all over there and the views have to be seen rather than explained. Pics are nice but cant convey what is there Spent 10 days last Aug. doing multiple passes off road and ending up in Crested Butte.

From Ouray you can take Imogene Pass over to Telluride no problem in the 100.
I do not recommend Black Bear Pass in the 100.
Colorado 07 003resize.jpg
Colorado 07 02resize7.jpg

Lockd97 Why do you not recommend Black Bear Pass in the 100 ? Black Bear Pass is a great trail. When I was running it a few years ago we had 2 100 on the run and they did fine.

Lockd97 Why do you not recommend Black Bear Pass in the 100 ? Black Bear Pass is a great trail. When I was running it a few years ago we had 2 100 on the run and they did fine.

I hear ya, I was just thinking being by himself( no other vehicles as stated in his first post) and not knowing the trail. That is for sure another option to get to Telluride. I agree with you that it is a great trail for sure.

Great thread, I'm looking for the same type of get away as I tried to register for the 2008 Summit and it is closed/full. I'll be looking at the same areas so thanks.

If anyone is interested in doing imogene pass (or others) with me, let me know. I will be up there august 16-22. I purchased the books mentioned in post #9, and agree that they will be very useful in planning destinations. Thanks for all of the input. Keep it coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom