Semi floating rear axle seal still leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished replacing my rear axle seals, bearings and brake shoes on my 1993 Land Cruiser due to the drivers side seal leaking diff fluid onto my drum brakes. Unfortunately it is still leaking, the axle did have a slight groove at the seal location, I cleaned it with steel wool but neglected to sand it down because the grooves weren't that deep, I assume that the grooves are the problem but i'm not positive. Is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve replacing the rear axle shaft? Does anyone know of any aftermarket seals with offset contact points from the OEM seals? Could it be something else? I checked the breather valve and it's clear. Any help would be appreciated.
FYI, this is a semi floating rear axle.

I would get a Speedi Sleeve , and this takes all the guessing away

download.jpg

The Speedi Sleeve solution looks like it will work if they make the correct size, anyone know what size diameter rear axle the 1993 Land Cruiser has? (semi floating) I think its 33mm but Im not sure if thats the main part of the axle or the bearing race. Thanks

The Speedi Sleeve solution looks like it will work if they make the correct size, anyone know what size diameter rear axle the 1993 Land Cruiser has? (semi floating) I think its 33mm but Im not sure if thats the main part of the axle or the bearing race. Thanks

They make every size you can think of, just measure the axle and find the correct one

Or pound seal deeper or not deeper so axle rides in different area on the seal, could also buggered seal on install, put little grease on inside spring to help keep it in seal

Can you post some pictures of it ?

It would be nice to have the correct size Speedi Sleeve before I disassemble the rear axle again, that way I could reassemble it the same day, and we all know that gear oil smells terrible. I was very careful when I slid the axle shaft into the seal but I didn't grease the spring, I figured that it would be in a bath of gear oil. I did grease the seal so the axle would slide in with little friction. The seal seats against the bearing and flush with the end of the axle case ( if I remember correctly ) so I'm not sure if overdriving or under driving it would work, but I will check on that.
Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom