Semi float rear axle: gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just working on semi float rear axle (Fj40, 76). PO have installed some gasket between pats 7 and 8 (see picture)
Do we need any gasket there?

Also basic questions about differential pinion and gears.
When I rotate a axle shaft (on unloaded differential) do pinion and main gear should rotate too?
When I rotate pinion, I can stop shaft rotation by hand without any force, it is normal?
Why gear not transmit any torque on unloaded differential?
I do watch many video and read manual,.. but still not find any answer :)

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 1.55.50 PM.png

IMG_0700.jpg

a paper gasket between the drum and axle flange isnt unheard of.
if the diff is of the open type....ie no traction adder inside, and both axles are off the ground, then yes stopping an axle while rotating the pinion is very easy....the other just starts spinning.
if you spin the axle with both wheels up, then no the ring and pinion might not spin, just the spiders as the other axle spins in the opposite direct and the one you are turning.

a paper gasket between the drum and axle flange isnt unheard of.
if the diff is of the open type....ie no traction adder inside, and both axles are off the ground, then yes stopping an axle while rotating the pinion is very easy....the other just starts spinning.
if you spin the axle with both wheels up, then no the ring and pinion might not spin, just the spiders as the other axle spins in the opposite direct and the one you are turning.
Thanks for information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom