SEM Tintable Liner

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by citabria, Aug 13, 2003.

1. citabria

citabria

Anyone use this spray on liner?

SEM sells it with a Schutz gun but the guy at the paint store tells me I need a "good" gun to spray it.

FJ-40 1975
    Rear Brakes Disc'ed, Fronts ready to do mini swap
    Body just back from Baking/blasting
    Frame off, down to metal and POR-15ed

2. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Citabria,
    After much research I used SEM's basic Truck Bed Liner kit (black). I was using it on new steel (I had to fab up a new floor pan for my FJ40). Here are a few of the basic steps that I had gone through...

Since I was using new steel, it had a bluish coating called "mill scale" - it's an oxide that is inherent in the hot roll process. It MUST be removed before applying any coatings.

Prep - I etched the mill scale off using a product that has a high concentration of phosphoric acid (protective clothing, safety glasses, and respirator). You can sand blast the stuff off as well (recommend a pressurized blaster).

Primer - Since the SEM product is a urethane, I used a 2K epoxy primer on the bare metal to ensure good mechanical and chemical adhesion of the truck bed liner coating.

After the primer was down, the recoat window was between 1 hr and 4 days (after that you have to scuff up the surface. You loose the chemical adhesion if you don't reprime).

Putting the truck bed liner coating on - I used a body shutz gun (really just a siphon feed air gun) that cost me about $25. You can find them at Harbor Freight cheaper. In my opinion, you don't need a high performance gun since the coating will have a texture to it (it's really thick which is why you have to use an undercoating gun to apply it). The texture will depend on the pressure at the gun - use a regulator to control it.

I put 2 coats on with the kit I used and have been very happy with the results. I took some pics, so I'll post them tomorrow. The kit cost me about $130, so I did it all for less than $200 (considering that I use a really expensive primer).

Other similar 2K urethane products can be found from Morton and Gator Guard.
    Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.