Selling my 40...need help with the value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so our second child is here and were going to try to purchase a home again so something has got to give. Sad to say but its gonna be the 40.

1970 FJ40 unknown milage, Power steering, power drum brakes. Purchased in may of 2011 in California central valley. Very very little rust, a few small bubbles starting to show on the rear sill with a spot or two around the rest of it. It runs great, starts up first time each time. It was repainted at some point. Looks great from 10ft but shows its flaws when you get up close. I have done a ton of work to it since I've had it.

The list in part is:
-OME 2.5" springs and shocks
-31x10.5x15 BFG AT's (06/11)
-Tuffy Console
-OCD bimini(faded now)
-Rebuilt Birfs with kit from cruiser outfitter(with marlin heavy duty inners)
-TRE's from spector
-Folding rear Con-fer seat (will come w long jump seats as well)
-Weather strip kit for the top from CCOT
-All new coolant hoses from spector
-New brake shoes all around w new brake cylinders from CCOT in the rear(all 4)
-Changed all fluids including Diffs, transfer case, trans etc
-PO put an old painless harness in
-I have a stock gauge and speedo cable, just have not hooked up yet.
-Also have the rear heater

Theres more for sure but cant remember as this is all off the top of my head. I have a ton of spare parts as I still have an ongoing list of stuff that needs to be done (front shackle gauge cluster etc). She runs and drives great and is very fun but shes gotta go.

Thanks for the input
Paul
LC1.jpg
LC2.jpg
LC9.jpg

Last edited:
More pics
LC10.jpg
LC22.jpg
LC26.jpg

and a few more
LC28.jpg
LC34.jpg
LC35.jpg

I dont think you'll get much out of it. So you can drop it off at my house and I'll take care of it.:D

Seriously though. You could get a pretty penny out of it because it hasn't been hacked up too much. I would start high and see what the response is.

Ok so our second child is here and were going to try to purchase a home again so something has got to give. Sad to say but its gonna be the 40.

1970 FJ40 unknown milage, Power steering, power drum brakes. Purchased in may of 2011 in California central valley. Very very little rust, a few small bubbles starting to show on the rear sill with a spot or two around the rest of it. It runs great, starts up first time each time. It was repainted at some point. Looks great from 10ft but shows its flaws when you get up close. I have done a ton of work to it since I've had it.

The list in part is:
-OME 2.5" springs and shocks
-31x10.5x15 BFG AT's (06/11)
-Tuffy Console
-OCD bimini(faded now)
-Rebuilt Birfs with kit from cruiser outfitter(with marlin heavy duty inners)
-TRE's from spector
-Folding rear Con-fer seat (will come w long jump seats as well)
-Weather strip kit for the top from CCOT
-All new coolant hoses from spector
-New brake shoes all around w new brake cylinders from CCOT in the rear(all 4)
-Changed all fluids including Diffs, transfer case, trans etc
-PO put an old painless harness in
-I have a stock gauge and speedo cable, just have not hooked up yet.
-Also have the rear heater

Theres more for sure but cant remember as this is all off the top of my head. I have a ton of spare parts as I still have an ongoing list of stuff that needs to be done (front shackle gauge cluster etc). She runs and drives great and is very fun but shes gotta go.

Thanks for the input
Paul

6500$

If someone on the West Coast, or in a desert, is buying, I'd wager you could probably get between $6000 and $8000 for it. It looks relatively rust free and unmolested. So unless you know of any "dirty little secrets" under the paint, it seems like a nice little rig!

If someone on the East Coast is buying - $12500. Only because they rust apart over here, and even though I live in the heart of rust country, I hate seeing all these nice dry-climate trucks shipped out here to die. :rolleyes: If they want to bring it out here, make sure they REALLY want it.

I'm sure you're sorry to see it go, but good luck with the sale.

saw in the news the other day- the FJ40s are selling really well. I recall it being about $80000! Would be good to hang on to one of those. Value will only go up as the years go by

one thing i can see is your only concerened about what you did to it .you need to look at whats wrong with it also .from the photos there seems to be quite afew mostly small issues .they may be big issues to a buyer so look at it both ways before you decide . good luck

If you are looking for a price from ebay, take that link, make sure you are logged into ebay and scroll down on the left side and check the completed listings, then look at them, the green ones sold the red ones did not, most are red.

I bought my 1962 fj40 off ebay, best deal I could ever imagine possible. Bought my son's pickup off ebay also a great deal (listed as not drivable, talked to the man and it was just brake calipers), and my jeep cj8 came off ebay another great deal. You only sell for a great price on ebay if you are willing to ship it and you get lucky and get more then one person who really wants it. It is hit or miss but you can put a reserve for the money you want to get to make sure it does not go to low. If you are willing to ship it at the buyers expense ebay will likely give you the best price. Its a nice looking truck, should do well on ebay.

It would be well worth your time to finish those small items left and have a more finished cruiser.

I recently paid $6700 for a 72 FJ40 in Huntington Beach without a top and felt like I got a great deal. As some have said, I see crap going for a lot more than that. Mine is a 10-harder, too. I found lots of cancer when I got under the car. Yours looks great but, obviously, needs the details. The non-stock interior may be an issue for some. The top and panels look in good condition so I would shoot for $9500 and be willing to negotiate a little. A little.

Thanks for the feedback. Prices seem to be all ovr the place on Craigslist. This 40 does have blemishes and a few issues but is a very solid platform to be a great rig for someone. Ill probably put it on CL for about $7600 and see if I get any interest. Would probably end up taking 7k if any mudders are interested. When I list it i will be sure to add what the issues with it are so the potential buyer isn't surprised.
Thanks again
Paul

I recently had seen an early 70's cruiser at a popular auction in Orange County (televised). The cruiser was not original, moderately modified and had several issues in my opinion. The minimum bid was $15,000 and not sold (possible purchase pending). You clearly have a very nice vehicle and could get $7000 to $10,000. I don't think Craigslist is your market, as most buyers are looking for a bargain, not necessarily the true value. Just sayin, Craigslist has it's place.

Ebay it with your price as the reserve. Simple... You will get more than 7600 for it.

Wow. Sounds like I will give eBay a shot then.
Thanks

Yeah, don't bother with CL. That place is crawling with tire kickers, looking for a steal. Post it on eBay, set the Reserve, (or start the bidding yourself), at what you want for it, and sit back. You may have to list it more than once, and true bidding on an item only happens in the last 5 minutes of an auction, so don't get discouraged. I bought my 40 on eBay, and couldn't be happier.

If on ebay just make sure you say the buyer needs to arrange any shipping if not a local pickup but also let them know you will work with the shipping company to help get it loaded. Put lots of pictures. Factor in the % ebay will take as their cut, and the % paypal will take if you use that. Then set your reserve or starting price. The fees very greatly not sure which costs more a reserve or higher starting price. I prefer a no reserve auction with the higher starting price. If you put a reserve of 7K and a starting at 3k, if I am willing to pay 7k and others only willing to pay 5k I will never be able to meet the reserve and win the auction.

Oh, and I would do a bit of freshening up of the engine bay. Perhaps paint the valve cover a nice gloss black, and pressure wash degrease the rest. It will help BIG TIME in getting some more $$...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom