1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell the 80???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by FJBen, Aug 11, 2005.

1. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    The wife is wanting to sell the 80... :frown: she wants to get a TDI Jetta for fuel costs and such...hmmm...anybody have to deal with the same thing?

Our 80 is paid for, but gets 12MPG only 15 on loooong highway trips...meaning cross country.

I like the MPG and TDI Jetta's for effeciency, and I believe they are fairly safe cars...obviously not 80 with ARB safe.

Thoughts for? Against?

2. swank60

swank60

Apples and oranges, really. If you guys travel a whole lot, then yes, a TDI might be a good idea. If you aren't travelling that much, then how much are you really saving in gas over the course of a year? How many miles do you drive, how much space do you need to use, how much of an added expense will the new car add to your budget (payments, insurance, etc) and will that added expense offset what you're spending on fuel?

Also, what are the long term costs of the Jetta compared to that of an 80?

3. Sangamo

Sangamo

I have an 80 and a VW Golf TDI. The golf has airbags galore (eight I think) and really handles and stops well. I have an average fuel economy of 46 MPG. It does require synthetic oil and regular fuel filter changes. There is also a timing belt to worry about (change intervals for the belt vary with production year). TDIclub.com is a good source of info on these cars. If you need the room of the 80, then there is no decision. If you can stand a little less room, try a Jetta (or Passat) TDI wagon. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

4. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I'll tell you what, you can come down here to Denver and pick up my Honda Accord and leave your 80!

There have been many threads about how it is a falicy that you will come ahead $ wise on this transaction. You will lose tons of money on this move.

Our Durango drinks even more than the 80 series, requires premium fuel and yes it is painfull stopping at $50 bucks at the pump but hey it should be paid for in the next year. Guess how much gas we can buy without a monthly payment?

5. Kaderabek

Kaderabek SILVER Star

And when you've been traveling of late, sir Steve, even with fuel prices as they are, which vehicle have you been you taking, the 80 or the VW? Come on, tell the truth....

TJK

(80s are too cool to sell. :D Unless your wife wants a 100. :rolleyes: )

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

FJBen, the real question is how much would you sell your 80 for? :D

7. Kaderabek

Kaderabek SILVER Star

Not to get into your business but if you're financing the VW you won't recoup the fuel costs anytime soon. I did the math on this recently as related to my wife's 100 and a Passat wagon.

TJK

8. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Wow!

You would be down to 2 Cruisers, and then 1 after the donor Pig sells!

Don't foget to consider transaction costs - taxes, titiling, reg of a new vehicle.

There are finance charges if you take a note on the new wheels.

The TDI is efficient, but diesel is higher than reg, and VW's reliablility has bottomed out. My Bro-In-Law had a Jetta (gasser) and by the time he paid it off (bought it new) he was ready to douse it in gas and drop a match on the seat. Windows kept falling down, wiper motors kept failing (but only when it rained!) and then he started eating fuel system parts. Odd, because those are Bosch, not VW. The thing kept s***ting O2 sensors and either MAP or MAF sensors, so his mileage would suck!

I'm all for gas sippers - love that Civic, but maybe do some reading in Consumer reports about VW...

9. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Hell, even if he could pay cash for the VW he would still lose $ on the tranaction.

10. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Ben,
    If it helps my wife LOVES her TDI. Every once in a while she thinks about an 80. The jetta's are very safe with bags, side curtains, abs kid stuff etc. 5 star front and rear with 4 on the sides.
    Swank has it though unless your commuting a distance it's going to be hard to justify replacing just for economy. I also have a hard time finding diesel less than premium fuel these days. What color in and out is your 80? lockers? might catch the wife at the right time for a trade. FWIW it's one of the only cars I can actually stand to drive. The jetta is small I'd honestly consider the passat TDI. They only come in auto and get about 10 mpg less than the jetta but a whole lot more room. The little turbo diesel also kicks butt at altitude. Oh.. did I say she only fills up every 6 weeks :doh:

11. freightdog

freightdog

You can buy a ton of fuel and be happy compared to the cost of a new vehicle -

This post is pointless without a pic of your 80 -

My wife wants an 80 -

so how much?

12. Sangamo

Sangamo

I drove the VW to Mississippi last weekend. The previous two trips were with the 80. Generally, if there is no wheeling and the drive is more than 200 miles each way, I drive the VW. The VW is due a timing belt change out soon, so I am limiting the mileage a little bit until I get that done.

13. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    You have a stick or an auto sangamo? how many miles?

14. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    pic of the 80...bad pic...

It's a 93, leather, lockers, 188K, we got it from the original owner, dealer serviced for everything, all OEM parts...

[​IMG]

15. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

FWIW: My gaser Civic knocks back ~ 36 MPG all day long...

Great car, total opposite of my 40, low handles like a go-cart, doesn't wheel well, quiet inside, A/C, NO low end, starts making power at 3k and just keeps winding - I take my foot out at ~7k RPM.

She is a little taller than a stack of 33x12.50's... :D

Makes for a well rounded garage!

16. freightdog

freightdog

Nice! - 80 - keep it! Build it...or sell it to me...

Pablo put those tires on the civic!

17. Kaderabek

Kaderabek SILVER Star

As Katherine would say, blah blah blah blah blah.... :D

TJK

18. Kaderabek

Kaderabek SILVER Star

Not to mention style points.

:rolleyes:

TJK

19. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Funny you should mention - I just started the lift project:

20. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Ben with the 2 kids the ages you have and you being as tall as me your going to HATE the road trip in a car the size of a jetta/ civic etc. The kids are only going to get bigger too. If it needs to be done go for a passat tdi. A jetta wagon might do better and they are made in germany not mexico.