Sell the 76' ~ buy a 74' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MarcoPolo

Mud.. it's a life...
Threads
Opinions mates....;)
I'm thinkin about a 74' fj40, sellin' my 76 40 to buy this one. I've know and done work for the guy for years. He's let his high school daughter drive it to school, yes envied by the boys around her, and this her last year. He needs to sell and get rid of some other vehicles also. What I know:
Sprung over with 4" lift
Power steering ( don't know with what )
37" Super Swampers ( I believe 12" wide )
350 chevy small block
Auto tranny ( can't remember just know, but i think a 400 )
Transfer case is currently stock, which is where the question comes in: What's best if I want to stay with the 37's and hit themtharhills?
He's never rock crawled with it, yeah for my side! :bounce: :cheers: :bounce2:

Transfer case is currently stock, which is where the question comes in: What's best if I want to stay with the 37's and hit themtharhills?

Orion.

Does it have disc brakes up front yet?

4" springs on top of the axles? Is that what you said?

As for the t-case...I was always worried about the stock one. Once I swapped a 205 in there I no longer had any worries about the drivetrain. Inner front axles are all I every worry about anymore...and only occasionally since I got longfields.

You live in WA...a decent auto or good clutch will work. If you live where real crawling is then you could probably justify the expense of a low t-case.

Eventually I'll probably swap to a TH400 and toyota pickup dual cases (23 spline minimum though).

can't you just keep both?

x2. It's a sickness afterall. Once I get mine into useable shape, I'm building another.

If I had my choice, I would go with the '74, though. Then again, I know nothing about yours.

can't you just keep both?

Would like to keep both...:)

But I have 4 teenage boys at home...:crybaby:

The 4 " is the shackle lift, I believe. Haven't yet seen the rig, but I know this guy from a long way back.

Last edited:
Hi All:

"Marco," we have a guy in our club here in Seattle who runs a SBC with a TM350 and a Dana 18 t-case. When he got the rig it had a stock 3 speed tranny in it; he has really liked the swap to the autobox and the Dana 18 has worked fine.

The Orion replacement t-case from Advance Adaptors is "bullet-proof," and offers serious low gearing (4 to 1 vs. 2 to 1 on most other t-cases.)

What is your 1976 FJ40 like?

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Opinions mates....;)
I'm thinkin about a 74' fj40, sellin' my 76 40 to buy this one. I've know and done work for the guy for years. He's let his high school daughter drive it to school, yes envied by the boys around her, and this her last year. He needs to sell and get rid of some other vehicles also. What I know:

Sprung over with 4" lift
Power steering ( don't know with what )
37" Super Swampers ( I believe 12" wide )
350 chevy small block
Auto tranny ( can't remember just know, but i think a 400 )

Thanxs for the input

The Orion replacement t-case from Advance Adaptors is "bullet-proof," and offers serious low gearing (4 to 1 vs. 2 to 1 on most other t-cases.)
What is your 1976 FJ40 like?

>>>Poser suggested the Orion also and that sounds like the ' Steel dele' Steel ' :confused:............. (creme dele' creme):grinpimp:

My truck is pretty much stock. Has a nice piece of steel for the front bumper, got rid of the Carter carb and put on the Rochester Quadratoilet from a 74 vette. Also has Oppenhauser intake & Hooker header. As far as I know, it's the original straight six. The odio is just over 46,000 miles.......... and it runs like it, although I couldn't say how long it's been ran with 33's. Came with a tow bar and the kid I bought it from told me it was ran behind an RV, again, don't know for how long. Got rust in the usual suspected places too. One last thing, made it up to Walker valley last summer, it did nicely:cheers:

>>>To Tankota ~ ya it has the disc's up front, new at that.

>>>Cruiserfreek ~ not bad, not bad at all :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom