Sell or build two fj60's with 12ht conversion at the same time is it worth it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all and thanks for the great forum.
Although I'm new to this site and revisiting the Landcruiser passion after 25 years, I have been blessed or cursed with restoring not one but two of these beauty's.
My first car was a toyota and have owned several over the years. My father now to old was into the diesel movement in CA back in the early 80's. I spent many hours on the I-5 going down to long beach picking up import toyota motors for our family business. I never realized how much the motors I just piled up would be worth.
Anyway I have inherited a project and now I'm under pressure to finish or sell off two and 81 fj60 with a NEW 12ht and 5 spd waiting to be installed, but the truck sat in the CA desert for 20+ years be cause the trans burned up doing some heavy towing. It was uncovered and needs complete restoration. At least it's not rusty! In anticipation for this I bought a 83 FJ 60 with a bad motor so I could trans plant the good motor into which was now junk so I had to rebuild the old one. Couple that with a small rust in the qtrs that I need to fix, a dented rear light bucket, stolen tailgate from where it was sitting and it's a giant mess. Then I need to sell it.
So my question is this: Do I restore the 83 which I'm very capable in doing, paint it and install the new engine to sell or do I just post the whole package of both for sale and get back to the mustang restoration habit I'm more comfortable with. If so what would that package be worth. I have invested 1800 in the 83 and the 12ht with 5spd is worth a boatload, but the 81 even low mile at 81K, it needs interior, diesel conversion finished, paint and many refresh operations performed from sitting. Not to mention nobody makes half the parts I need or they are not easily found. Is it worth it or what is it worth?

If your motivated enough to do it, it could really be worth it. If you think about it in the long term, these 12HT diesels are only going to increase in value. The engines arent getting any younger, and a new one in a clean fj60 could fetch some serious money (20-25 thousand would be reasonable for a clean truck). I can tell you that 4 months ago, I payed 8,000 for a 12HT that had 75,000 miles on it.

I think that you could really go either way with this. If you sell the whole package to someone who really knows the value of a Left hand drive 12HT diesel fj60.... you could certainly make some money.

On the OTHER hand, the swap really isnt especially complex, and I did it with minimal parts aquisition. Id do the swap.

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma.

Are you trying to find a way to restore and sell these 60s for a profit?

Or do you want to restore and keep them?

If it is restore and sell for a profit, then I guess you would run the numbers (just like you would do with a Mustang, if you are doing that as a business endeavor) to see if your costs+profit margin are within the price point you expect to sell it for...

No I'm just trying to get rid of the gas FJ in order to build the conversion. Actually I mounted the 12ht in the one I will keep, well actually set in but mounts I got for the swap are awful, They have less than 50% of the material left when off cleaned off the rust. Damm it. I hate buying old crap. Worse of all I got them from a guy on this site, told them they were junk but no answer back. I'm ending up cutting the 2f mount off and reshaping like the junk I have. Gonna have to wait for another day for that. Thanks for the thoughts I guess I'll just have to finish what I started.

No I'm just trying to get rid of the gas FJ in order to build the conversion.

Ok, I think I've got a better idea of what the dilemma is...you are trying to figure out the best mix/match set up between the two vehicles, so that you end up with the best running 12HT (which you will keep) and the best possible running gasser (which you will try to sell back into the market)...

...so the dilemma is how to go about making decisions on which part goes where and how good is good enough, etc....

Only thing I could suggest is to map it out on paper. I find that writing it down first helps, and after the picture begins to emerge, you can fill in the spaces in between with steps in the process to get it done...and if you throw costs down for each step, then you begin to add in information that will help in making trade-off decisions...

...either way, it's not a bad dilemma to be in...with 2 60s and a 12HT!

:) You are correct but I'm now committed to both builds. I cut the qtrs of the gasser and found some ok but not great one on a body I traded for. The 2f now will be fully rebuilt in a week I should be able to paint it and get it sold. The motor mounts for the 12ht are going to be a little more work since they will have to be made from scratch but all is well. My other dilemma is where to find the 12v starter and alt for a reasonable price. I don't want to remake the motor mount blunder again.

If your motivated enough to do it, it could really be worth it. If you think about it in the long term, these 12HT diesels are only going to increase in value. The engines arent getting any younger, and a new one in a clean fj60 could fetch some serious money (20-25 thousand would be reasonable for a clean truck). I can tell you that 4 months ago, I payed 8,000 for a 12HT that had 75,000 miles on it.

I think that you could really go either way with this. If you sell the whole package to someone who really knows the value of a Left hand drive 12HT diesel fj60.... you could certainly make some money.

On the OTHER hand, the swap really isnt especially complex, and I did it with minimal parts aquisition. Id do the swap.
Really that much? How about a nice restored 84 fj60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom