Sell It or Keep It??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Still can't deside what to do with the old 80.
I commute 130 m/day and was thinking of keeping it and getting a car to commute.
If I found a car that gets 30+ mpg for $3000 it would take over 10 months just to pay for the vehicle in gas saving, let alone what ever cost of repairs to a $3000 vehicle would be. It sounds like the commute will be less than a year so buying a commuter car is out of the question.

My option now is either sell the old 80 (while I can still get some $$$$ out) it and buy a newer lower mi 80, or keep it.
My only concern is, can I find a good low mi 80 that doesn't need $$$$'s of repairs and PM's.
If I keep it, I will put over 35,000 over the next year in commuting, that will put the old 80 well over 320,000 mi.

there was a neat 80 for sale on ebay a couple of days ago with a few goodies :D and only 120K IIRC...

If I keep it, I will put over 35,000 over the next year in commuting, that will put the old 80 well over 320,000 mi.[/quote]

I say keep her and go for a mileage record sounds like you got a good start already:D

I bought a 93' Mercury Tracer as a commuter for $500. Exhaust and ball joints are all ive put in so far. Just a thought.

If I were you, I'd rather ring up the miles on the old vehicle than a newer vehicle. Those are nearly free miles, as long as the old girl is running strong and doesn't end up needing an expensive repair.

my advice keep the 80 buy a beater..... you can find tons of cars that are "driveable" for $500... damn for $3000 you could find an ls400 or a legend... both not needing any repairs

I think you should sell the 80 and just drive a car until you figure it all out. Between the sagging suspension and other stuff you have going on, she is going to continue to demand your time & money, both of which would seem hard pressed to come by on 35K miles a year.

Hard to do, but you keep asking this general question, and at some point the need to ask the question is the answer. Good luck with it whatever you choose.

my advice keep the 80 buy a beater..... you can find tons of cars that are "driveable" for $500... damn for $3000 you could find an ls400 or a legend... both not needing any repairs

Ditto...You can buy pretty good LS 400 or Legend for $3000. :)

Only problem with a car is I HATE CARS!
The only cars I found I like is MR2 and Supra. Supra same gas cost as much as an 80.
MR2= dead or worse in crash.

Its going to be a 80, just need to brake my brain in half to make up my mind what to do.

The old 80 is using 1 qt for the first 2000mi and 1 qt per 1000 mi there after using Rotella T Syn.

It's pretty obvious that you can't afford to have a lot of issues on a 130 mile a day commute, even if they are just pesky things. That's just way too many miles to focus on what is wrong with your transportation.

I'd say both sides of your brain need a new rig. The left will love the upgrade, and the right will appreciate the logic of not pounding nails into the coffin every morning when you leave the house. Question is simply whether you can afford the downtime as you make the swap and the coin for the newer rig.

Why not a 100 series?

Find yourself a 98-2001 Corolla. The automatic will give you 32-40 MPG on the road. Absolutely bullet proof, nearly maintenance free 1.8L engine up to 200k or more.

+1 on Nay's advice as well.

Only problem with a car is I HATE CARS!
The only cars I found I like is MR2 and Supra. Supra same gas cost as much as an 80.
MR2= dead or worse in crash.

Its going to be a 80, just need to brake my brain in half to make up my mind what to do.

The old 80 is using 1 qt for the first 2000mi and 1 qt per 1000 mi there after using Rotella T Syn.

I'd steer clear of the mr2.... supra's can get high 20's in mpg so it would be much better than your 80... but are expensive as all hell... unless you're talking about and mkIII in which case i'd still steer clear of that

<<< unless you're talking about and mkIII in which case i'd still steer clear of that >>>

Whats wrong with the MKIII

Get a new job that let's you WFH :)

Whats up with the Camry?
Wifeys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom