SELL AS-IS....OR FIX HER UP? ('84 FJ60) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not quite sure where to post this comment, but I'll give it try here.....I have a '84 FJ60-(stock calif. car). Used it as my construction vehicle(TOOL BOX) while building my house down in Ol Mexico (Rosarito Beach). The house is finished and the FJ has just been sitting and ready to let it go....The BIG question is....do I clean it up?...(paint & upholstery)-typical faded paint with a bit of roof rot, wore upholstery on the driver's seat...and very dusty....OR sell it as is. There are plenty of good paint/body shops where I can get a good price down here ($500-$1000 for paint and body work & $750 to redo the interior)...If anyone has any words of wisdom on whether to fix her up or sell as-is, it would be appreciated. She's got 200k on her and have no idea what to ask. Thanks to all!

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Sell it as is. Odds are you won’t get out of it what you put into it. Plus if it were me I’d rather buy a stock truck with faded paint and all problems visible and I’d be wary of a cheap paint job which would make me wonder what else might be hidden. Without more pictures it’s hard to say on price but if the frame is clean and the body Rustis minimal or none then price could be $4k to $8k

I would get it fixed down there if you can get quality work done. I agree with @Seth S to a point. However if you document the work properly (pictures, pictures, pictures!!) you can eliminate the
wonder what else might be hidden
factor.

If you have an opportunity to take advantage of south of the border pricing and it isn't a hack job I would jump on it. Not everyone wants to buy in to a big project. Finished/rehabbed/restored/refreshed...(whatever you want to call it) rigs will have a wider audience I believe. Good quality affordable bodywork is extremely difficult to find this side of the border IMO. The question is can you find both affordability and good quality down there?

Sell it as is. Odds are you won’t get out of it what you put into it. Plus if it were me I’d rather buy a stock truck with faded paint and all problems visible and I’d be wary of a cheap paint job which would make me wonder what else might be hidden. Without more pictures it’s hard to say on price but if the frame is clean and the body Rustis minimal or none then price could be $4k to $8k
Thanks so much for the insight!

I would get it fixed down there if you can get quality work done. I agree with @Seth S to a point. However if you document the work properly (pictures, pictures, pictures!!) you can eliminate the
factor.

If you have an opportunity to take advantage of south of the border pricing and it isn't a hack job I would jump on it. Not everyone wants to buy in to a big project. Finished/rehabbed/restored/refreshed...(whatever you want to call it) rigs will have a wider audience I believe. Good quality affordable bodywork is extremely difficult to find this side of the border IMO. The question is can you find both affordability and good quality down there?
Thanks so much for the opinion...all above is true...I have a great body shop about 40 miles south of the border...they cut out and weld in new metal with any rust...I've had a couple of cars repainted there with very good results...I had them redo an old 356 in lacquer...tey stripped it down to the unibody, all hand rubbed and no problems when I point out all the little details/overspray that might need attention....when I sold it; the buyers were fighting over who was first in line. On one car they put in china-made headlight assemblies, but had them R&R them with factory parts. I probably wont recover the investment on the FJ60 but should see a much bigger audience of interested parties with a decent paint job...the folks that want to buy a faded old rusty car and invest TIME and $ are few and far between. Who knows....maybe after a minor restor, I might just keep it!...jajajaja

Before I was finished with your initial post I was thinking "sell it as is" but then when I read you could get the work done for that price I'm kinda 50/50 on it.
If it were me and the truck was in Mex, near a paint and body shop I trusted I would do it. Thats just me though.
Whats the ballpark amount you think you'd want for it as is?

There is likely more rust in that roof and gutter than meets the eye. I found that any fleck of rust above gutter means you can poke an awl right through. I would make sure they inspect and repair properly..before covering up. Those repairs would add real value/comfort for future owner for sure ..

If that roof rust is rot then it has gone through and you will need to remove the headliner at least in that area to deal with it inside too. Major PITA since the roof rail prevents access to the area from inside. You'd need to cut out that part of the roof from the outside to access it then weld in a whole new patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom