Sell 03 Sequoia for FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always loved the FJ60 Land Cruiser and am considering selling my 03 Sequoia for one. I've found an '84 with a new engine and seems pretty clean. I also plan to upgrade to the 5 speed transmission straightaway. From talking with people that know more about cars than I do, I'm worried it may not be as reliable as I'm hoping. I would be using it as my primary vehicle, but from what I've researched about this model, they seem pretty hardy if kept well. Any opinions?? I have such a reliable car now, but figure I'll make about 6K on the sale and wouldn't mind putting a chunk of that into some upgrades. Any ideas/suggestions would be great!

You will more than likely need to spend money to freshen/fix things on the 60. But they are super reliable, simple and effective. You will feel the BIG difference in ride coming from that sissy sequoia, and you'll miss the power of the v8.... but you'll gain alot of off road capability. Plus the old landcruisers are just plain awesome and original.

Dude, you're asking a bunch of 60-lovers if it's a wise decision to trade your Sequoia for a 60?! Of coooourse it's a good decision!:D
But, serious, it totally depends on what you expect from a car. If you like a smooth ride, with lots of V8 power, and wagon loads of luxury - keep the Sequoia. Never driven it, but it must drive awesome.
But if you want to go for simple, for reliable (that's when the rig is ready:), for going anywhere, and for the feeling that you drive a unique specimen, go for the 60. It still has the rough edges of a 45/55, but with a little bit of stone age luxury. I own one for 10 months now, and it's my daily and only driver for the last 7 months, and I'm in love with this rig, even though there's still a lot of work to do. The gearbox and transfer case need an overhaul, I have rain water leaks, a lot of seals have to be replaced, my rear axle doesn't sit straight under the chassis, but I simply wouldn't wanna trade it for whatever car I can think of. Not even for a Troopy (I've driven one last week: not for me)
Good luck with your decision. And enjoy the 60:D

keep it

And then buy the 60 for yourself maybe the wife will like the 60 then give you the seq***** back.she may let you borrow it from time to time if your good.just joking i say buy buy buy then spend spend spend till your wallet runs dry.join the addiction you'll never regret it.

John:D

Even at 25-30 yrs old a cruiser is pretty darned reliable. If you're looking to downsize with a cheaper and more basic vehicle forget about the tranny upgrade for the time being. Run it for awhile before committing to upgrades that may be unnecessary or even counterproductive and find out what it really needs. Hopefully you've driven a 60 before and are well aware that you'll be sacrificing comfort, gas mileage, etc.
FWIW, I'll take my 62 over a Sequoia anyday!

I don't suppose Sequoia owners give each other "the wave". :steer:

Join the club of guys who get passed by everyone, but have the capability to pull everyone out of the ditch.

Your mileage will suck but your manliness factor will increase by at least 58%.

Join the club of guys who get passed by everyone, but have the capability to pull everyone out of the ditch.

Mine only went up 27%, but I came from a solid axle PU.:D

I had a jeep guy wave at me yesterday.

As far as a 60 goes, I have owned quite a few vehicles, and this is the only one that I plan on keeping until it simply cannot be driven any more. I would keep the sequoia and save up for the 60. As much as I love my 60, there are times where driving the wifes newer car just makes more sense. If you do get a 60, hopefuly you do not have an addictive personality, b/c these things are crazy addictive.

And with a decent suspension/body lift you can smile to Sequoia drivers from above:D. Probably untill they wave at you from the same hight, because they also got the virus.

Well do what I did keep your Sukoia and get the sixty. Have the best of both worlds. Yes your ride quality will def not be the same and the V8 power you will miss (when driving the sixty but you will def have a hardier ride easy to work on when you have to and if maintained well a reliable vehicle. Good luck sir

I would trade the sequoia for a 60 and a [insert newish smaller car here]. Then you'll have modern and economical when you want it, and an off-road tractor when you want it.

Thanks guys for all the input! I'm glad to hear how much everyone loves their 60s. Makes me feel better about my decision. Any other input anyone has would be much appreciated. Sounds like with a few upgrades and love these things can be as hardy as everything that i've read so far. ....and FWIW I'm the wife...the husband would have to borrow from me :)

Thanks guys for all the input! I'm glad to hear how much everyone loves their 60s. Makes me feel better about my decision. Any other input anyone has would be much appreciated. Sounds like with a few upgrades and love these things can be as hardy as everything that i've read so far. ....and FWIW I'm the wife...the husband would have to borrow from me :)

I just got back from a 2500 mile trip skiing in our 06 Sequoia. With my family, it was smooth sailing and we had plenty of room. I would have never taken them on that trip in the FJ60. If it was me by myself, no problem, but going that far with the family would not have been fun.

So, it all depends on what you are planning to do.

My answer is no way in hell. The 60 is slow, boring and old. I'd keep the Sequoia for sure, get the 60 for a toy if you wish. Seriously, go drive a 60 before changing. Complete struggle buggy. Try an 80 and 100 while you are at it. Pick after that.

Think about it...

My answer is no way in hell. The 60 is slow, boring and old. I'd keep the Sequoia for sure, get the 60 for a toy if you wish. Seriously, go drive a 60 before changing. Complete struggle buggy. Try an 80 and 100 while you are at it. Pick after that.

AMen^^^^

I have a 60 and an 80- The 60 is a dog on the road, the 80 is a lot better but the sequoia is probably more competent on the road. Toyota is starting to drop support on the 60 and parts will slowly become harder to get.. The 60's have more room inside than the 80.. I would say drive a 60 around for a while- borrow/swap/rent?
They all are over 20 years old so count on needing to fix something- keep emmissions in mind if you live in an area that requires that junk.. $$$$
I hardly drive my 60 and really don't have the heart to sell it but will have to part with something. They are a cool, hardy utility rig and very simple to work on and very reliable once you get all the bugs worked out.
The 62 series are a little more streetable but have their shortcomings as well.. Figure 11 mpg for a 62 and maybe 15mpg for 60 series.

60's are slow, yes, boring, not even close! For a daily driver I would think twice though. The looks, thumbs up, and waves you'll receive are always nice. A 60 is a street legal tractor. They are a fantastic 2nd vehicle.

if you've got to sell the sequoia to afford the 60 then i say no - you'll spend double what you spent getting it back to legal smog passing road worthy if the seller is like the typical seller who has neglected everything and sees the bill and cuts his losses.

i'd do like someone else and sell the sequoia and get a good used toyota rice burner with 40+mpg AND the 60. drive the rice burner and pay for 60 parts with the money you save on gas.

then i'd get me a sweet inline 6 diesel and slap it in the 60 and turbo and intercool it and lift it and you'll not miss any power and be super cool (like the all other diesel 60 freaks).

Best of both worlds; get a 60, transplant a modern v8, upgrade suspension, re-do interior... and you have an old school unique beast that will DD, go on long trips and anything else you could imagine smoke honda's ;)

But FWIW, a stock 60 is pretty sad for the above duties.

HB -

1st my normal noob nudge: put your location in your sig line so your neighbors will volunteer to help.

Then start another thread titled "Anyone in Hooville Let A Noob Drive Your Truck?" & wait for the offers. You'll prolly get prisine stockers, jacked-up SOAs, diesels, & a few SBC V8s.

If you decide you want the latter, buy one that way. You'll pay a lot less for one all sorted out than doing the conversion yourself (& way more if you have a professional do it).

I'm guessing you're sold on the looks because you haven't driven one. I got one ("hers") for my wife to haul stuff to her business 13 years ago: she drove it yesterday. Then we got another that is now V8 powered ("mine") to pull a boat, plow snow, etc.

There are quite a few 60/62s around here - 1 down the street & another less than a mile away & I see 'em on the road all the time. But this is like living in a playground.

And with a decent suspension/body lift you can smile to Sequoia drivers from above:D.

I second that !!!

I would buy the 60 and depending on how things pan out, sell and or keep the sequoia........

With the right mods this rigs can take you north to south pole !!!........... and then some !!!

Good luck with your purchase.. !!!

:beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom