Self intro and RTH request for getting power to AC compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my lx470 model year 1999 right after somebody smashed into me and my Honda fit I really miss my Honda fit but the Lexus that I drive now was literally the cheapest Toyota that I can find at the time the only other cheaper options were very old Priuses and I thought it unwise to purchase an old hybrid. My motive behind driving my lx470 is that I have a very capable four wheel drive car that's very comfortable for my 700 weekly mile commute. It's very nice knowing that there's a form of people that are willing and eager even to share information about how to keep these wonderful trucks running and I really appreciate being a part of the group.

It looks okay I would have preferred a truck liner bread paint job like monster liner but hey I'm not going to change it till I have to. General that's my theory when it comes to fixing the car is that if I can do it for cheaper I will sometimes that means some interesting and creative fixes. On the vehicle for almost 2 years and it's only been in the shop once for a $15 tire valve stem replacement: the Toyota tundra wheels that I put on the car for $300 with good Michelin tires had a leaky valve stem and that's why I took it to the shop thankfully $15 bill got it fixed.

Okay so I need some help:

I've been battling an AC that won't work since I bought the car and I'd really like to get it fixed because I plan on driving my family from near Washington DC to Alaska this summer in July. I don't need the AC to work for the rest of the time that I drive the car right if I live up north no big deal. System is in great shape there's just some electrical gremlin that's causing it not to work.

I evacuated the system pulled a vacuum on the line and recharged with a measured 1 kg of r134a. She doesn't work because the compressor doesn't turn however if I jump the compressor by connecting my jumper cable from the positive cable to the single prong wire connected to the compressor the compressor will work the magnetic clutch makes a loud audible click when I jump it. In the car with the magnetic clutch jumped for about 15 minutes just sit in my parking lot and the AC blue cold and I was very happy.

Started a lot of electrical work like headlights and stuff like that however he did it wrong he used like screw on connectors and just otherwise cut a bunch of corners so every time I have to fix something with the electronics on it I end up having to redo work that he's done as an example there is a remote start system installed on the car that's never worked for some reason the previous owner used a key that was not programmed for the transponder in the remote start system. What a goofball, i know. However I was able to retrieve the key that was used in the remote start system and it does work to unlock the doors that gives me some measure of Peace of mind in case I ever locked myself out.

Getting back to the point the AC works great if I jump the compressor everything works good nope no problems that I can detect cold air. I'm staying with getting power to the compressor through the built-in plug there's a three wire Port that connects and a single wire comes out of that three-wire Port connecting to the compressor to feed it electricity. That single wire Port is essentially what I jumped to get the compressor to run.

Have been a couple of repairs done on that three wire Port where it connects probably from where the serpentine or fan belt grab the wire and rubbed it away or otherwise disconnected it I'm sure you know what I'm talking about because it's an obvious problem it's right next to the fan belt.

MY PROBLEM IS that I need to get power to that single prong on the compressor so that the magnetic clutch will engage and I can have air conditioning. I have made a variety of soldered joints trying to repair previous repair jobs and I'm confident that I've got a good circuit from what I can see so there must not be power going to that wire that is in the three-prong connector that feeds to that single prong connector. I don't have a vote me her or otherwise a tool to determine if there's actually power at that wire in the first place. Very cheapest tool I can find I don't see the need to tulip for this job beyond what I already have. Obviously a small budget is well within my reach to repair this so like a $50 tool for example would likely be purchased however I want to keep this as cheap as I possibly can.

Power going to that three wire connector that is plugged in right adjacent to the compressor how would I hunt down a problem with that? I put a fresh fuse in the AC fuse in the fuse box under the hood, I swapped the magnetic clutch relay with the relay right next to it in the fuse box just to make sure the relay was working it seems to be working fine, I have a proper load of refrigerant.

I just need to get power to the compressor in order to enjoy air conditioning in my car. I could wire a direct link from the positive terminal of the battery to the compressor and use a switch that I installed on the dash just so that way I could manually short or jump the compressor whenever I want to use the AC. Obviously this this is not the best solution however it is reasonable to me to use that solution so I would love it if somebody could offer me some advice on how to prevent such a bastardized fix

Thank yall

Sounds similar to JerryB’s thread. . . . . LC100 is also working on this, but with NAV.

Does your A/C button light work, or flash and go out?

Last edited:
Is there any reason not to hard wire the compressor to the positive terminal of the battery?

An inline fuse, a switch in the cabin... What happens off it fails? Is the car drive able if the compressor fails? Should be so long as it does t take the belt with it right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom