Selectro Hub Removal 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Of course no other Selectro Hub removal looks like my hubs. The screws around the outside of the face were simply screwdriver removal. While the hub was full of grease, once that was cleared out I was able to find the wire lockring, simple screwdriver removal again. Once that wire comes out you get the splined hub and spring. However, as you can see in the picture, there are no cone washers to be knocked free, just remove the nuts and lock washers and the hub body is free, but can't be removed. The nut in the center of the shaft needs to be removed, however, since the hub is in the "free" position, I'm just turning and can't remove. Need to see two things, #of splines on shaft and size of nuts retaining wheel bearings. All other pictures I have seen of Selectro hubs have screws on the outside of the body, the whole unit looks different from this one which really looks more like a Warn. Help please.

DSCN6479.JPG

DSCN6480.JPG

Differs from these but the pictures are cool.
20180518_090205.jpg
20180518_090146.jpg
20180518_090214.jpg
20180518_090223.jpg

Last edited:
Try shifting the transfer case into 4wd with both front wheels on the ground. That should lock the axle shaft in place allowing you to remove the bolt and washer from the end of the shaft. Normally the washer/bolt is used on '79 and later type (short) birfields to retain them in position with Warn type hubs versus the factory c clip groove that is used to retain the '76 to '78 (long) birfields.
HTH,
Will

Try shifting the transfer case into 4wd with both front wheels on the ground. That should lock the axle shaft in place allowing you to remove the bolt and washer from the end of the shaft. Normally the washer/bolt is used on '79 and later type (short) birfields to retain them in position with Warn type hubs versus the factory c clip groove that is used to retain the '76 to '78 (long) birfields.
HTH,
Will

Thank you. I did pull it back into 4 High and then shifted into first and released the clutch a little to make sure I was engaged, however, when I grabbed the bolt it just turns. I can feel/hear the "normal" mechanical noises. Since it is a 13mm wrench, an 8mm bolt. Shouldn't be more than about 25-30 ft lbs on such a bolt. Not that anyone down here would consider a torque wrench for anything. So I'll give it another go. I did more research paying closer attention to the end of the shaft and see that it is indeed threaded. So it shouldn't be anything weird, just dealer installed optional free wheel hubs. I see that some aftermarket people are putting a zerk in the end.

I see that some aftermarket people are putting a zerk in the end.
I think those with a zerk are also gun drilled to the inner cavity of the birfield to allow you to pump grease into the ball and cage area of the joint for ease of lubrication...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom