Selecting an 02 Sensor brand for my '97 - which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read the posts and I'm curious from all those that have replaced their O2 sensors how they've performed?

Looking at choices between (all w/ OEM 4-wire connectors):

Brand Front#/Rear# Prices Fr/Rr
1) Toyota OEM

2) Bosch OE 13422/13136 $88.94/$88.91*

3) Denso OE 234-4157/234-4153 $98.33/$88.76*
$103.98/$93.98**

4) NGK OE 24557/24553 $108.85/88.85*

5) Walker OE 250-24157/250-24153 $97.50/$85.90**

Pricing per Website:
* = Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com
** = http://www.oxygensensors.com

Performance difference b/w the 5? Price relativity?

Thanks!!

Toyota all the way

The Toyota ones lasted well over 100K miles on my truck. Thats why I went with them again.

Tried to veer from OEM once and got:

They threw a code, so I bought the OEM and everything is great.

Aren't Toyota OEM made by Denso?

My OEM's on the 100 series were cheaper than the aftermarket Denso.

Made the same mistake before I found MUD and Cruiserdan. What a waste of money. I replaced them with OEM sensors from CDan and they have been functioning perfectly ever since. If you buy them through Dan they aren't that much more than what you would pay for the junk aftermarket ones at checker/autozone.

IMHO, you have three choices:

1. OEM
2. OEM
3. OEM

Same goes for the source:

1. CDAN
2. CDAN
3. CDAN

:D

As others have mentioned, I would say OEM. The discounts that are available around the net will get you a price pretty close to that of an after market item.

the logic that always makes sense when I come across this sort of decision --

Toyota designed all the parts in the engine to work together, so you know they are going to work together. the second you start throwing new variables into the mix, god knows what is going to happen.

OEM from CDAN

edit - this goes for all variables to the engine of course. whether its a KN air filter (boo), dual batt system, super charger, or 02 sensor. more variables, more problems.

i bought the oem denso plug & play from sparkplugs.com. only reason i didnt got with cdan for this one is because sparkplugs.com shipped to canada via USPS so i didnt have to deal with the ass raping for brokerage feesfrom ups. otherwise, its cdan all the way.

I got the NGK/ NTK one (P/N 24557), but I paid CAN$280.00! They wanted over $350.00 at the Lexus dealer for the Toyota OEM sensor. So far so good after 15K. I wonder why they are so much more expensive in Canada compared to the States even factoring in the exch rate (1.25?). When I did my research on O2 sensors, I recall that NGK/ NTK were the largest producers in the world. I doubt Toyota makes the O2 senor themselves. But in any event for the price you listed I would get the OEM one.

Thanks for the responses, fellas.

I called Dan's number and left a voicemail. (I've ordered from him in the past)

Tried to send him a PM but got the error msg that his PM mailbox is too full and not accepting any new messages.

If anyone else bumps into him, do me a favor and give him the heads up, ok? Thanks.

I really need to get these replaced ASAP, my 80 is performing pretty badly. Thrown a couple codes and now i'm overdue swapping them out. Just about to hit 120k mileage.

You can order and get the 'Mud discount from anyone at American Toyota.

x2

IMHO, you have three choices:

1. OEM
2. OEM
3. OEM

Same goes for the source:

1. CDAN
2. CDAN
3. CDAN

:D

That's exactly what I did, after researching my options, and I used to mechanic for a living (that means I used to buy alot of parts). We used to say,"you can buy it right , or you can buy it again". No, seriously, I wouldn't mess with saving a few pennies here...OEM is plug and play. The difference is in the harness ends, not so much the sender itself. You do not want to find yourself cutting and soldering wire ends here. Do it somewhere else.

livinoffroad,

I concur on the OEM, just sometimes when budgets are tapped one may have to get the best they can. (Wait, "budget" implies I have money to spend... and I surely don't).

Oh, for reference... all those models I listed at the beginning of the thread were plug-n-play units with the oem 4-wire plug already attached. The universal models were like $30-40 cheaper in some cases, but not something I want to mess with...and I'm not afraid to fabricate a solution. I'm just not messing with these sensors, imho.

Correct me if I'm off base here, is Toyota building their sensors themselves, or OEM'g them from someone?

Way back in some thread here it was said that they used Denso. I was in a pinch and needed a replacement before a shipment could arrive from New Mexico. I replaced with a generic Denso and soldered the connector from the original sensor on. Two years now - 0 issues.

I just got off the phone with American Toyota with the pricing.

I know OEM is usually more expensive... but holy bat frack! $160 ea?!? The 'Mud discount helped a bit, but not even close to a set of OEM-plugged Denso's.

I'm gonna run the numbers over @ sparkplugs.com to see what the shipping costs will be so i can compare, while I wait for AT's call back with their shipping quote.

****edit: Dan just gave me a call back. I'm glad he did because the initial quote must've had some wires crossed. One of them is about $11 cheaper than the other. In either case, I'm still looking under the pillow cushions for the extra change to order the OEMs from Dan. Once again, impressed with his customer support. Dan is the man.*****

Last edited:
Dan's dogs are being fed pretty well today then. Just ordered a few things from him again this week too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom