Seep after rear main replacement (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The world's best LS400 mechanic may have never worked on an LX450 before.

I had my rear main seal "fixed" last November at local dealer. Last 2 times I went in for routine oil change they said I had an oil leak, this last time said it was rear main. I immediately questioned it and they took the truck back in and cleaned the oil off and told me to come back in a couple hundred miles and they'd re-check. I did and low and behold it is leaking again. Now they get to fix it again next week for free (one year warranty). Thankfully it hasn't been a full year since, usually I get the raw end of the deal. I haven't had any major problems with these guys though and hopefully things will get fixed right this time.

I was told that if you open the flywheel inspection plate and see oil "slung" or "starburst" on the flywheel then it's the rear main and not the oil pan gasket.
I myself have done the oil pan gasket replacement before to track my leak down and it literally took an hour setting that gasket even "comfortable enough" to call it good, what a pain. A friend is replacing my rear-main in a few weeks and I'm supplying him with a new oil pan gasket as well in case he gets in there and thinks it could be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom