Seeking Leaf spring advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check out some Dobinsons. TOY-055-F and TOY-056-R 45mm lift. I got them for my 79 Fj40 for 600 bucks by themselves, no hardware. Nice ride, I like them. Those part numbers are for your 55.

Check out some Dobinsons. TOY-055-F and TOY-056-R 45mm lift. I got them for my 79 Fj40 for 600 bucks by themselves, no hardware. Nice ride, I like them. Those part numbers are for your 55.
Totally different for a 55

Talked to Dobinsons today, they will only sell the 55 springs as part of the full suspension package ($3200!) and 3-4 month lead time on shipping...

Going to bite the bullet and go with alcan, game time decision on 1 or 2" lift. i'll try and remember to come back and update this thread with before/afters and experience.

Appreciate all the advice and ideas from everyone.

Remember that whatever lift you start with will settle a bit over time. I think 2"-3" is the sweet spot for a starting point if you're remaining spring under and don't want to go crazy on tire size. 33s are perfect for all-around use unless you're a crawler.

I think I have the same issue as NikP. For all account I think I have a stock rear leaf but I am SOA. The leafs are tired and flat and I think contribute to my wonkyness when I have gear in the back. I want to put some leafs from the front I took off to get the arch back, but I think it is going to make my Pig really tall. I can match the height easily in the front with the coilovers but I dont know how tall I really want to go.

I was thinking about going back to SUA, but I think for the money and effort I should just link the back.

Talked to Dobinsons today, they will only sell the 55 springs as part of the full suspension package ($3200!) and 3-4 month lead time on shipping...

Going to bite the bullet and go with alcan, game time decision on 1 or 2" lift. i'll try and remember to come back and update this thread with before/afters and experience.

Appreciate all the advice and ideas from everyone.
I bought my Dobinsons springs with no hardware, free shipping and it came to 600 bucks. The only difference is I got them from amfindustriesusa.com their website is a pain in the butt. If you want to check with them, I’d call them. 786 292 7750

Finally got the alcans and new shocks on, here's a pic. This was 2" lift from the stock alcan setup. The advice i got to go with 2" lift to be closer to stock was valid. Tires on there are 30x9.5x15. Can definitely go bigger on next tire change. Drives like a different vehicle. Now to address the rust and get it back to the orig green/white...

IMG_9888.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

Looking good for sure! I pick up my 3" Alcan spring next week and will install before the sow goes to paint/body shop. Except for some sticker shock, which I may just be turning into cheap bastard, alcan has been a pleasure to work with.

Finally got the alcans and new shocks on, here's a pic. This was 2" lift from the stock alcan setup. The advice i got to go with 2" lift to be closer to stock was valid. Tires on there are 30x9.5x15. Can definitely go bigger on next tire change. Drives like a different vehicle. Now to address the rust and get it back to the orig green/white...

View attachment 2799784
View attachment 2799785
That is the proper Alcan for Pigs!
I have heard hit-and-miss stories about Alcan springs for Pigs. Some good, some not so good.

What specs did they build those springs to? Do you mind me asking how much $$$?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom