Seeking Leaf spring advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tstockto

SILVER Star
Threads
Somewhere between Bee Cave & Dripping Springs, TX
I’ve read a few posts here about leaf springs. Still haven’t quite figured it out however.

I have a bone stock 55 running 30x9.5x15 tires. this truck doesn’t see anything more exciting than a Texas gravel road. That tire seemed appropriate at the time when I needed to replace the 20 year old tires it had on it quickly... with all the deferred maintenance I was focused on other things besides springs and possible lift. I don’t really want to replace tires at the moment. But the springs are totally flat. Re-arching I figure will run me about 30-40% the cost of new springs and I sort of feel like that may not be a good long term option. Plus who knows what it is going to take to free the current springs as they sit today. I just assume they will get damaged or something and then I’ll be dead in the water. All for a few hundred bucks savings.

So I got a quote from alcan for 1298 (does not include shipping!). But I’m not sure what lift to request if I go this route. Other threads mentioned a 1-2” alcan requested lift was actually more like stock. I’d like these new springs to work ok w the 30’s on there now and not look like a Mario kart vehicle and maybe allow me to go to 32’s next change.

I also have 4 new doetsch shocks ready to throw on.

any advice as to what “ lift to request from alcan? Any other considerations? Shackles etc?

Is that essentially a forced re arch with a little extra support?
Yes, but for what you are running and planning to run it is about the lowest cost option you can do. Longer shackles will also get you there. But in all honesty, even with flat springs you should be fine running 30-32" tires. Here's a couple pic of mine... first pic shows how flat the rear springs are, second pic shows it with 33x10.5" tires with the exact same springs... after the second pic an Old Man Emu kit from Cruiser Outfitters was put in, but you can see that even with flat springs the 33's fit without any issues.

B3CECE24-6481-4200-B8FB-C8966C0052A1.JPG

And here it is post lift with the same 33s on it...
387C4E8C-9C9E-407F-8C06-7C038BD2764D_1_105_c.jpeg

You know what? You should just save some time as you are already on the path and just buy 35s. You gonna do it down the road anyway might as well just cut the other sizes out of the timeline! :0
Not sure which of us you are talking to, but there is zero chance I'm ever going to put 35s on mine.

LIke you, I started with 30s and OEM springs. Then I did Man A Fre add-a-leafs on all four corners along with inch longer shackles, mostly because they were an unused bonus in a package of parts I bought along the way. Gave me about a 3" lift after settling. I've run both 31s and 33s since with no rubbing issues. Here's a pic of the current configuration and look with 33x10.50x15s.

Magruder 5.jpg

I'm inclined to tear my stock spring pack apart and interleave every other leaf from a FJ60 front spring. Mine are flat also and I don't want to redo spring mounts or end up with too much more height or spend big coin. Cruiser outfitters has an individual spring for less than $150 before shipping. I'm thinking I can cannibalize every other leaf and swap into the front and rear stock spring ps and end up somewhere near stock. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

A single leaf pack for $150? You want to buy four packs and remove every other leaf in the pack and run them that way?
I'm thinking buy two 60 series front springs, since they measure close to the 55. Take it apart and put leaves 1,3,5 into the front 55 spring (taking out stock leaves 1,3,5). Then use leaf 2,4,6 from the 60 spring and do the same with the rear 55 spring. In the end, the 55 ends up with half the leaves new and half old. Since I start with a lift spring from Cruiser Outfitters, I probably end up about stock height with respect to arch.

I buy two new 60 packs and by inter mixing leaves, I address four springs total. I keep the both stock leafs on the 55 which holds bushings that way I have no worries for bushings and no perch relocation to worry about.

So, that's an interesting theory. I have 2 new 60 ome springs on a parts truck. Just the fronts. So 60 front springs work on a rear 55?
Mike

So, that's an interesting theory. I have 2 new 60 ome springs on a parts truck. Just the fronts. So 60 front springs work on a rear 55?
Mike
The bushings are different sizes so that's why I'm thinking keep the 55 wrap spring and just replace as much of the rest as you see fit. Last I look the measures for length were close enough to fit front and back of the 55 (if I recall correctly)

I looked and I can get a 60 spring for $126 from Cruisercorp shipped, then it's just my labor at that point.

Good idea, how do ya do the fronts?
40 springs the same?
Mike

I follow what your idea is now. That would probably net you some moderate lift. For the price you can’t go wrong giving it a shot. If it doesn’t end up what you want, you could just reassemble the new front packs and then buy an additional pair for the rear and be good to go.
Still don’t get how being SOA isn’t getting you the height you need🤔 Maybe posting some more pics could help us understand what’s going on.

Good idea, how do ya do the fronts?
40 springs the same?
Mike
Fronts are included in my thinking since they're close in measurements.

I can't remember details on the 40 springs but I think the center pin is offset if I recall.
I follow what your idea is now. That would probably net you some moderate lift. For the price you can’t go wrong giving it a shot. If it doesn’t end up what you want, you could just reassemble the new front packs and then buy an additional pair for the rear and be good to go.
Still don’t get how being SOA isn’t getting you the height you need🤔 Maybe posting some more pics could help us understand what’s going on.
I'm worried about getting higher. My wife already drags her butt on the kick plate getting in and out. I want better ride with little height gain.

I just don't think a single add-a-leaf will give the results for ride.

I'm inclined to tear my stock spring pack apart and interleave every other leaf from a FJ60 front spring. Mine are flat also and I don't want to redo spring mounts or end up with too much more height or spend big coin. Cruiser outfitters has an individual spring for less than $150 before shipping. I'm thinking I can cannibalize every other leaf and swap into the front and rear stock spring ps and end up somewhere near stock. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

I thought 60 springs were wider than 55 springs?

This post references widths and such. They’re all the same widths. Post#9 is someone who used all the 60 series spring front but the leaf with bushings and did front and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom